Today is...
Monday, May 21, 2018
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
A demonstration of EtherCAT control of linear motors using the CTC EtherCAT master.
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Anyone Heard of Piecal Calibrators?
Quality of Piecal brand handheld calibrators

I'm looking at getting their 830 model... it's a multifunction calibrator that simulate mA, V/mV, frequency, and resistance, plus a bunch of profiles that correlate mV and resistance to known thermocouples, RTDs, and pH probes. I know it's a long shot since it's a niche tool, it's hard to find any opinions about their reputation, aside from Fluke.

Kind of a pricey tool, but the fact it can measure and simulate all the basic mV/V, mA, and ohms makes it kind of a nice swiss-army knife. Has some neat features too, can tell you loop mA, voltage, and load. has dual channel that can be set up to translate one to the other as a transmitter. Pretty compact too.

Anyways, just curious if anyone has heard of them or knows about their quality.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention - not heard of them before!

It's described as a 'technician friendly calibrator', and presumably has a market for constant multiple process calibrations.

Perhaps purchaser reviews may help in assessing value for money.

I like the PIE's.

Our company has had a half a dozen 334's (4-20mA calibrator/sources) for at least 7-8 years now. The 820E and an 830 are maybe 3-4 years old. I have used the 4-20mA, volt, thermocouple and RTD, both source and read functions, and all work as expected.

I like the disposable AA batteries, compared to our HART handhelds with rechargeable batteries that need a fair degree of 'battery management'.

The carry case is large enough to carry spare batteries and the probes/cables.

The PIEs are rugged and we have not needed any repair services.

The cal 'cert' that comes with a new unit states only that it passed calibration; it is not a full blown cert with values and deviations at various points. I presume you can get a full-blown cert but we only need a full blown cert on one or two units, so we pay for the full blown cal cert on those one or two. I seem to remember that PIE provides full calibration procedures so other cal labs can cal it, (or if you want to cal it yourself) so you're not stuck getting a cal done only by the manufacturer.

The only thing I need to show someone is the method used to kick the meter into loop power mode when sourcing the loop power - one has to run the rotary knob upscale until loop power kicks in. I typically show that to a new guy one time, they get it and that's it. The feature is labeled on the front panel, but it helps to show someone the first time.

I took the 820E out to a site that complained that "the analog input is seeing more current that the transmitter is putting out". Sure enough the AI was seeing a greater current value; there was a ground loop and the 830 displayed the leakage current.

A couple years ago I ran into one of the PIE principals at a show and discovered that PIE has a Transmation heritage, the guy was the son of the founder of Transmation. So PIE has a long standing background in process instrument calibration.

Thank you for such a detailed response!

Sounds like a great device but honestly I'm most impressed that you can calibrate them yourself. That just shows they care more about end-user functionality and making it the best possible than making a couple more bucks by forcing people to pay them for the calibration. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one...