Troubleshooting Resolvers

M

Marvin

We have a number of Harowe harosyn-rw resolvers that are giving us some problems on an old GE servo motor,(used in a B&S CNC). Can someone explain how to test resolvers using basic test equipment?

W
Marvin, You need at the minimum a scope. You can do this without removing the resolver from the equipment (even while it's connected to the drive electronics) if you can turn the motor shaft. 1) Connect a signal source of the correct amplitude and frequency to the reference or primary winding of the resolver. If you don't have a signal generator, you can leave the reference winding hooked up to the servo controller; the signal should still be there, even if the unit is not in run mode. Typical frequencies are 400 Hz, 2 KHz, and 10 KHz. 2) Connect a dual trace scope to the secondaries. If you have three traces, you can put the third channel on the reference winding and use it for a trigger. 3) As you rotate the rolver shaft, you should see the amplitude of the sine wave on the secondaries go from zero to full amplitude, 90 degrees out of phase. The amplitude will be determined from the turns ration of the resolver, but is usually in the range of .5 to 2 times the reference amplitude. Any anomalies (i. e. crosstalk, wrong amplitude, absence of signal, distortion, etc.) would indicate a problem with the resolver. For some explanation of how the resolver works, sample scope traces, etc., you can download: http://www.analog.com/industry/motor_control/appcode/admc401/res2digi401.pdf Regards, Willy Smith Numatics Costa Rica

I want to buy some Harosyn-RW resolvers, but I cannot find this manufacturer. Could you please tell me where I can find a sales company in China or Hong Kong?
Information on the label:
FASCO HAROWE SERVO CONTROLS,INC.
HAROSYN-RW
ROTOR(OUT)21V, STATOR(IN)12.0V
11BRW-300-B-10
400HZ
Thank you in advance.

Sorry to drag up an ancient thread, but I am new here and in looking for something else found this one and thought this info may still be of assistance.
A company that can supply / repair some models of Harowe resolver(new or reconditioned) and even some old Singer models, as well as encoders, etc. is 'Ultra Logic Systems' in Australia (ANCA CNC agents)

Contact details for the service dept are -
Ph. int+ 61 3 9439-6607
Fax. int+ 61 3 9439-6627
email: [email protected]

They can ship worldwide via Fed-ex,etc.

Fred

W
Marvin, You need at the minimum a scope. You can do this without removing the resolver from the equipment (even while it's connected to the drive electronics) if you can turn the motor shaft. 1) Connect a signal source of the correct amplitude and frequency to the reference or primary winding of the resolver. If you don't have a signal generator, you can leave the reference winding hooked up to the servo controller; the signal should still be there, even if the unit is not in run mode. Typical frequencies are 400 Hz, 2 KHz, and 10 KHz. 2) Connect a dual trace scope to the secondaries. If you have three traces, you can put the third channel on the reference winding and use it for a trigger. 3) As you rotate the rolver shaft, you should see the amplitude of the sine wave on the secondaries go from zero to full
amplitude, 90 degrees out of phase. The amplitude will be determined from the turns ration of the resolver, but is usually in the range of .5 to 2 times the reference amplitude. Any anomalies (i. e. crosstalk, wrong amplitude, absence of signal, distortion, etc.) would indicate a problem with the resolver. For some explanation of how the resolver works, sample scope traces, etc., you can download:
"http://www.analog.com/industry/motor_control/appcode/admc401/res2digi401.pdf":http://www.analog.com/industry/motor_control/appcode/admc401/res2digi401.pdf Regards, Willy Smith Numatics Costa Rica
I sure would love to look at those scope traces but cannot find or download them.