DC to DC conversion

S

Steven Shepard

Can anyone suggest a product or method of converting 24 VDC (50 Amps) to 12VDC? Thanks. SBT Designs 25840 IH-10 West #1 Boerne, Texas 78006 210-698-7109 FAX: 210-698-7147 www.sbtdesigns.com

C

Curt Wuollet

What you need is a switching regulator. I would check with some of the many power supply houses. At 50 amps efficiency is fairly important. With a switcher you could have 24V @ 50 A in amd 12 V at 100 amps out. Or get your 12 V out @ 50 amps with only 25 A from your 24 V supply. Anything else will waste half your power. A linear regulator will dissapate 600 Watts. Telcos use a lot of 48V to X converters but 24 to 12 may be harder to find. A web search for dc-dc converters should get you a start. Regards cww

R

Ruben Parrilla /Electronics teacher

> Can anyone suggest a product or method of converting 24 VDC (50 Amps) to 12VDC? < You can use Zener diodes to down the voltage. Connect its in series so you can down the desire voltage you need, remember to use the apropiate zener diode it come in different voltges aplications Any reply [email protected]

L

List Manager

mascot (http://www.mascot.no) makes DC-DC converters, I have not seen one that big, but I suggest talking to them to see if they have anything suitable, or perhaps a model that can be syncronized so you can connect several of them in parallel It would not be that hard (but expensive) to make one so I guess products exist that will do the trick. It would not either be too hard making a model capable of handling say 10-20A and make it intelligent enough to be connected in parallel (it is generally NOT just a matter of connecting them in parallel, the control electronics have to cooperate otherwise load will not be equaly shared) /Johan Bengtsson ---------------------------------------- P&L, Innovation in training Box 252, S-281 23 H{ssleholm SWEDEN Tel: +46 451 49 460, Fax: +46 451 89 833 E-mail: [email protected] Internet: http://www.pol.se/ ----------------------------------------