Animating 3D Models

C

Chris Hale

Has anyone had experience/heard of the ability to take 3D design models (such as PDMS, etc.) and animate the model components, so that you end up with a model that is dynamic.

These models are already used for maintenance, so why not operation as well?

Please: what is PDMS?

I'm using Mathcad a lot !
Any 3_D can be rotated in all possible angle, either in fixed mode or using the mouse.
In general, any 3_D can be animated. Example: a sphere can be put in rotation, it can be animated to transform into an ellipsoid.
Mathcad is one of the most used math tool.
Others are: Mathematica, Mathlab.
There are more.
Mathcad is companion to Intergraph, i.e: Mathcad does savant calculations as part of Intergraph design.

C
PDMS is a 3D design tool from cadcentre (www.cadcentre.co.uk) and is used to model process plant (oil / gas / paper, etc). In it you produce a model of the plant that you can do a VR walkthrough on see how the system is layed out etc.

It also contains info such as floor loading, pipe / try routes etc. In essence, it is taking plant design and creating a single model that engineers of all disciplines can access at the same time and see how their designs interact

Please: what is PDMS ?
I'm using Mathcad a lot !
Any 3_D can be rotated in all possible angle, either in fixed mode or using the mouse. In general, any 3_D can be animated. Example: a sphere can be put in rotation, it can be animated to transform into an ellipsoid. Mathcad is one of the most used math tool. Others are: Mathematica, Mathlab. There are more. Mathcad is companion to Intergraph, i.e: Mathcad does savant calculations as part of Intergraph design.

J

Johan Bengtsson

We do such things quite frequently in educational purposes (ie simulate a machine so the student can write a proper PLC-program and test it) I don't know much of how this is done exaclty myself, more than that it is done by importing
the design model into a 3d modelling software and edited there manually, and then some C++ code is written that is using that edited model.

/Johan Bengtsson

----------------------------------------
P&L, Innovation in training
Box 252, S-281 23 H{ssleholm SWEDEN
Tel: +46 451 49 460, Fax: +46 451 89 833
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.pol.se/
----------------------------------------

A

Alistair Richardson

Plant 4D from CEA gives the same walkthrough facility but will sit on Autocad as well as Microstation. With the Explorer module you can view the walkthrough and make amendments without having to have autocad or microstation on your desktop.