communication between plc 5 ab and laptop with usb port

C

Carlos perez

I have a laptop compaq 17 xl 366, it has no db9 serial port, and I need to communicate with a plc 5/40 allen bradley using rslogix and 6200 softwares. How I can do it? I am not sure if any converter usb to serial port like the belkin's accesories can help me. I know that compaq make duplicator ports like quikdock, but I don't know if it is a good solution. I try to fix it, I buy a us pda adapter, used for palms and some mouses to communicate across usb pc ports. It works good with the mouse but not with the plc. Anyone know how I can fix it?

J
Carlos,

I have used the Belkin product with RSLogix 5 to communicate via DF1 with both SLC-500's and PLC-5's on the Belkin DB-9.

I'm not sure how it would work with a DOS AI because the adapter uses windows virtual device drivers to "simulate" a serial port.

The Belkin does not work over a device like a PIC in any event, nor does it work with other devices like my Eaton Panelmate IDT's.

I purchased, through a suggestion on this site, a hardware based PCMCIA solution for about $200.00 but haven't tried it yet. Perhaps I can let you know how that works next week. I think I can test it with AI although I don't use it anymore (I'm hooked on RS Logix now) but probably have a copy around.

Let me know if this helps and if you want me to test the PCM card with AI.

Thanks,

John Kelley
[email protected]