PLC 5/250 to ControlLogix Migration

D

David Reynolds

We utilize the Pyramid Integrator PLC 5/250 as a gateway and memory concentrator between our MMI's (WonderWare), Level 2(Process Control system) and a DH+ network with PLC5's and a couple of SLC's.
There is no logic processor in the PI just the Resource Manager, a KA card and an EI card. We currently use a ControlLogix Gateway (no processor) as a second gateway.
~80% of the Wonderware I/O is to and from the memory in the PI. The rest is via one of the gateways (PI or CLX) to the PLC-5's.
100% of the I/O for the Level 2 system (Dec Alpha using Interchange) is to and from the PI.

Does anyone have experience in a migration from a PI to CLX? What are the problems, workarounds that came up? Should we try to emulate our current system using a CLX processor or completly resturcture the communications?

Replies via this list or e-mail appreciated.
David Reynolds Process Coordinator Steelmaking Process Control.

G

Geoff Nunan Advanced Integration Pty Ltd

It is possible to emulate PLC5 in CLX, but there are so many advantages of re writing the code that it seems like a claytons fix to emulate the plc 5 code.
I am just getting into my 3rd CLX project, 1 conversion from SLC5/03 and 2 green field projects, and love the CLX and what it can do.

Geoff Nunan
Advanced Integration Pty Ltd
Bathurst NSW