CE Approved

M

Marc Sinclair

>>Here's where, IN PRACTICE, the EC gives European Companies a bye. There
>>is not to my knowledge a single case where the EC or any member
>>country's customs authority has challenged the self-certification of CE
>>on any automation product.

Could that be because goods within the EU don't pass through customs? - The EU is a common market, allowing free movement of goods and people, within the area. (Just like you don't pass through customs between Utah and Nevada. This doesn't stop US customs checking imports from Europe.) Customs are only one of the authorities charged with enforcement. Within the EU non-compliance is usually uncovered by department of trade officers or, sadly after an accident by the health and safety executive.

Here, just for your knowledge are three domestic companies prosecuted for non-compliance with CE regulations

Arena Supplies Ltd. Accident in which an employee amputated tips of his fingers. Two employees using hydraulic folding machine with single hold to run button. Fined $6,070. Machine supplier Morgan Rushworth Ltd also fined $2,255. Machine was CE marked with a closing ramp speed too fast (28mm/s rather than <10mm/s). Machine did not meet the essential health and safety standards of the Supply of Machinery Regulations.

Brian Selley. Employee injured while working at the conveyor produced by the defendant. Machine did not meet essential health and safety requirements, no risk assessment done, no CE Mark and the machine was unsafe. Fined $4,843.

Stoves Ltd. Employee lost three fingers and part of right hand when he made contact with unguarded toothed gears while undertaking commissioning work on a production line. Serious because the company is responsible for awarding the CE mark on completion of commissioning and testing of the equipment. Fine $9,420.

marc

A
> There are two sets of standards for US products shipping to Europe and European products used there.

_Simply_Not_True_ The Standards are available for everyone to inspect. There is only one set of standards that I can find, the standards even apply to products made for internal company use!

> US Products that are self-certified are regularly challenged. European products that are self-certified are not.

Again Simply_Not_True, even a quick 'net search brings up many instances of prosecutions!

> As I have posted previously, I am unaware of a single case of a European product whose self-certification has been challenged. I _am_ aware of several cases where US Made goods have been seized by european customs agencies, even though the boxes were clearly labeled CE, and their self-certifications were challenged!

You obviously do not understand anything about The EU. Customs authorities do not interfere with internal goods. As for European products, It has certainly happened, I even read (and checked)some examples of prosecutions in previous posts!

> So, it is more expensive to achieve CE Mark in the US than in Europe.

_Simply_Not_True - these rumors are usually put about by companies looking for consultancy work, by the way, what do you do again?.
I work for a company who manufacture goods in the US for sale the world over - yes - even the EU. The effort put into CE marking was no more that any other regulatory conformance, it's just what the customer wants.

> This is clearly an informal barrier to trade.

No, what is an informal barrier is scaring off US manufacturers with tales of this type. Let me tell my US buddys, Europe is open for business, just be diligent with your paperwork.

> > There are two sets of standards for US products shipping to Europe and
> > European products used there.
>
> _Simply_Not_True_ The Standards are available for everyone to inspect.
> There is only one set of standards that I can find, the standards even
> apply to products made for internal company use!

A fairer statement would be that there are two standards for compliance. One for products made inside the EU and one (much stricter) for those made outside the EU.

> > US Products that are self-certified are regularly challenged.
> > European products that are self-certified are not.
>
> Again Simply_Not_True, even a quick 'net search brings up many instances
> of prosecutions!
>
> > As I have posted previously, I am unaware of a single case of a
> > European product whose self-certification has been challenged. I _am_
> > aware of several cases where US Made goods have been seized by
> > european customs agencies, even though the boxes were clearly labeled
> > CE, and their self-certifications were challenged!
>
> You obviously do not understand anything about The EU. Customs
> authorities do not interfere with internal goods. As for European
> products, It has certainly happened, I even read (and checked)some
> examples of prosecutions in previous posts!

Thats kind of the point isn't it? Since goods being sent within the EU are not even looked at by the customs people they concentrate on goods coming from outside the EU. The was the whole purpose in the first place.

> > So, it is more expensive to achieve CE Mark in the US than in Europe.
>
> _Simply_Not_True - these rumors are usually put about by companies looking
> for consultancy work, by the way, what do you do again?. I work for a
> company who manufacture goods in the US for sale the world over - yes -
> even the EU. The effort put into CE marking was no more that any other
> regulatory conformance, it's just what the customer wants.

I think the issue is really one of compliance. US companys just do not want to sign on the bottom line until all the I's are dotted and T's are crossed because of all the silly litigation that goes on here. This is not a big issue in Europe. Look at the minimal fines for noncompliance, even where serious injury or death resulted.

> > This is clearly an informal barrier to trade.
>
> No, what is an informal barrier is scaring off US manufacturers with tales
> of this type. Let me tell my US buddys, Europe is open for business, just
> be diligent with your paperwork.

The US will someday figure out that it makes no sense to subsidize our trading partners. Eventually.

Bob Peterson

>>Here's where, IN PRACTICE, the EC gives European Companies a bye. There
>>is not to my knowledge a single case where the EC or any member
>>country's customs authority has challenged the self-certification of CE
>>on any automation product.

Could that be because goods within the EU don't pass through customs? - The EU is a common market, allowing free movement of goods and people, within the area. (Just like you don't pass through customs between Utah and Nevada. This doesn't stop US customs checking imports from Europe.) Customs are only one of the authorities charged with enforcement. Within the EU non-compliance is usually uncovered by department of trade officers or, sadly after an accident by the health and safety executive. Packing and moving companies near me g&j moving. Here, just for your knowledge are three domestic companies prosecuted for non-compliance with CE regulations Arena Supplies Ltd. Accident in which an employee amputated tips of his fingers. Two employees using hydraulic folding machine with single hold to run button. Fined $6,070. Machine supplier Morgan Rushworth Ltd also fined $2,255. Machine was CE marked with a closing ramp speed too fast (28mm/s rather than <10mm/s). Machine did not meet the essential health and safety standards of the Supply of Machinery Regulations.

Brian Selley. Employee injured while working at the conveyor produced by the defendant. Machine did not meet essential health and safety requirements, no risk assessment done, no CE Mark and the machine was unsafe. Fined $4,843.

Stoves Ltd. Employee lost three fingers and part of right hand when he made contact with unguarded toothed gears while undertaking commissioning work on a production line. Serious because the company is responsible for awarding the CE mark on completion of commissioning and testing of the equipment. Fine $9,420.

marc

I wonder if it saves you?