GE Mark VIe DRAM failed code

I have a GE Mark VIe IS220UCSAH1A (UCSA-H1A) controller that is showing a "failed to initialize DRAM or DRAM tests failed". It is indicated by 2 blinks of the boot light upon start-up. After going through my GE documentation , I cannot find if this is a hardware, a BIOS, configuration issue, etc.

Any ideas for what I need to request for a repair?

Thanks

Don Clark,

How long has this UCSA been in service? Is a replacement that was taken out of spares? Has it been in service in the panel for a long time?

When did you get this boot code? When cycling power to the processor? After a download? (If after a download, then what was downloaded, and why?)

Did the processor just stop working, and then you tried re-booting it, and this boot code came up?

To me, this error code signifies a failure of the dual-ported memory (RAM). I don't think it's a configuration thing, because I don't ever recall seeing any configuration settings for DRAM. It's either a memory failure, or some test isn't working right.

I have been told recently that some sites are shutting off their entire Mark VIe turbine control panel (when the unit is off COOLDOWN, of course) and waiting at least 30 minutes before powering back up. (And, I'm hearing this mostly from sites where the ambient temperatures can get quite hot--so it's not clear if the air conditioners are working properly or not, or ???) Anyway, that's worth a try. If you don't have a spare, I'd suggest just getting a spare UCSA (though I also hear they're in short supply) and try installing it (remove the flash memory card from the existing UCSA and install it in the new UCSA before powering it up).

Hope this helps! Please let us know how you fare in resolving this problem!

I have a GE Mark VIe IS220UCSAH1A (UCSA-H1A) controller that is showing a "failed to initialize DRAM or DRAM tests failed". It is indicated by 2 blinks of the boot light upon start-up. After going through my GE documentation , I cannot find if this is a hardware, a BIOS, configuration issue, etc.

Any ideas for what I need to request for a repair?

Thanks
Don Clark,

I advise you to have a look on this following elements from Mark6e manual:

12.1.6.1 Boot LED Flashing Codes
The boot LED is lit continuously during the boot process unless an error is detected. It flashes at a 1 Hz frequency if an error
is detected. The LED, when flashing, is on for 500 ms and off for 500 ms. After the flashing state, the LED turns off for three
seconds. The number of flashes indicates the failed state.
Boot LED Flashing Codes
State Description # of Flashes
Executing BIOS Normally booting BIOS On
Failed SPD SPD has bad data 1
Failed DRAM DRAM memory test has failed in the BIOS 2
Failed BIOS SPI BIOS was unable to validate the BIOS SPI checksum 3
Failed CPLD BIOS was unable to communicate with the complex
programmable logic device (CPLD)
Failed APP SPI BIOS was unable to communicate with the APP SPI 5
Failed QNX IFS BIOS was unable to read or verify the QNX IFS image 6
Fully Booted Fully Booted Off

As you can read "Failed DRAM test has failed in BiOS"
Now its up to you to replace the Failed device ...or look on other solution ( if existing )..

Thats what i can add on this thread ..

ControlsGuy25.

ControlsGuy25,

It would appear the original poster has, indeed, RTFM (Read The Fine Manual), because that's about the only place he could have found the information he did about what the flashing LEDs meant (he even wrote he went through the GE documentation and pretty much quoted the specific description you included in your snippet).

His question was: "Any ideas what I need to request for a repair?"

Are you suggesting the OP open the processor pack and replace DRAM? I would guess (and it's just a guess, because I have never opened or seen the inside of a UCSx processor pack) that the DRAM is not socketed but rather soldered in place. Which would make it difficult to replace, if not impossible without special tools and knowledge. And by "look on other solution" are you suggesting replacing the UCSA in question?

Please clarify your answer; thank you.

ControlsGuy25,

It would appear the original poster has, indeed, RTFM (Read The Fine Manual), because that's about the only place he could have found the information he did about what the flashing LEDs meant (he even wrote he went through the GE documentation and pretty much quoted the specific description you included in your snippet).

His question was: "Any ideas what I need to request for a repair?"

Are you suggesting the OP open the processor pack and replace DRAM? I would guess (and it's just a guess, because I have never opened or seen the inside of a UCSx processor pack) that the DRAM is not socketed but rather soldered in place. Which would make it difficult to replace, if not impossible without special tools and knowledge. And by "look on other solution" are you suggesting replacing the UCSA in question?

Please clarify your answer; thank you.
CSA,

The original poster "Don Clark" was also asking before the question of repairing , if it was a hardware or BIOS issue....

According to what it is expalined in the Mark6e manual , it is a BIOS issue...(so OP got at least one answer )

I was not suggesting to replace DRAM at all.... My advice to the OP, is to look on the best solution... As we are not at his site i cannot add more on this suggestion...

ControlsGuy25.

Don Clark,

How long has this UCSA been in service? Is a replacement that was taken out of spares? Has it been in service in the panel for a long time?

When did you get this boot code? When cycling power to the processor? After a download? (If after a download, then what was downloaded, and why?)

Did the processor just stop working, and then you tried re-booting it, and this boot code came up?

To me, this error code signifies a failure of the dual-ported memory (RAM). I don't think it's a configuration thing, because I don't ever recall seeing any configuration settings for DRAM. It's either a memory failure, or some test isn't working right.

I have been told recently that some sites are shutting off their entire Mark VIe turbine control panel (when the unit is off COOLDOWN, of course) and waiting at least 30 minutes before powering back up. (And, I'm hearing this mostly from sites where the ambient temperatures can get quite hot--so it's not clear if the air conditioners are working properly or not, or ???) Anyway, that's worth a try. If you don't have a spare, I'd suggest just getting a spare UCSA (though I also hear they're in short supply) and try installing it (remove the flash memory card from the existing UCSA and install it in the new UCSA before powering it up).

Hope this helps! Please let us know how you fare in resolving this problem!

REPLY:
I shut the power off for about 2 hours. When I turned the power back on, the UCSA immediately displayed the DRAM fault. Several years ago, we purchased a spare UCSA. I think this was a repaired unit but I don't remember from where but when this was installed it too came up with a DRAM fault.

I shut the power off for about 2 hours. When I turned the power back on, the UCSA immediately displayed the DRAM fault. Several years ago, we purchased a spare UCSA. I think this was a repaired unit but I don't remember from where but when this was installed it too came up with a DRAM fault.

CSA,

The original poster "Don Clark" was also asking before the question of repairing , if it was a hardware or BIOS issue....

According to what it is expalined in the Mark6e manual , it is a BIOS issue...(so OP got at least one answer )

I was not suggesting to replace DRAM at all.... My advice to the OP, is to look on the best solution... As we are not at his site i cannot add more on this suggestion...

ControlsGuy25.
If I put in a requisition to get somebody in to look at the UCSA, I probably need more of a description than "repair DRAM cause of fault". Any ideas of what I should request?

Thanks

Don Clark,

I don't think you can repair DRAM in a UCSx processor. To GE, UCSx packs are commodities (pretty expensive commodities!).

I think you just need a refurbished or new (if possible) UCSA. There are several re-sellers of GE Mark* controls. Lately, I have heard of people having good success with IC-Spares (ic-spares.com). I think the gentelemen's name is Michael Napoli.

Perhaps if you contacted some division of GE (GE Controls Connect--if it's even still in business) you might be able to get some assistance--maybe. But, unless you are already registered and approved, there's that process to go through just to be able to submit a question.

That's about all I can think of. As a former GE field engineer, I would just be replacing the pack with another to "fix" this problem. GE used to have a "repair and return" program; don't know if they still do. It was kind of like an exchange program on the one hand; sometimes they gave a credit for components the Customer didn't want returned, sometimes not. You might ask other suppliers if they have something similar.

Don Clark,

I re-read your reply and if the spare UCSA also came up with a DRAM error upon power-up I would definitely also be looking at the power supply output voltage to the processor.

Remove the power supply connector and after powering up the power supply check the voltage at the connector. If this is for a gas turbine control panel which uses 125 VDC for the main power to the panel, check for a ground.

Can you tell why the processor was powered down to begin with?

Please write back to let us know how you fare in resolving this problem.

Don,

The DRAM issue is a pretty specific problem. Good catch for looking at the manual and getting the diagnostics. I'd be curious if you can still ping the IP or telnet to the COM port. Because it has been off 2 years probably means its lost all of its settings. Have you tried Re-Flashing the card. Or tried replacing the flash card? My gut feel is that this will not fix the issue, but it is a good place to start. If you are really lost, I would happily take a look at the UCSA and see if I can fix it. No promises I could resolve the issue, but we might learn something in the process.

I too have a few contacts that you could buy from or get this UCSA refurbished. As CSA said, they are expensive. ~$8-10K NEW. Unfortunately, I have NDAs with these contacts, so I will not give their name/contacts here in this open forum....sorry everyone. If you are interested, PM me and I can set you up.

Perhaps if you contacted some division of GE (GE Controls Connect--if it's even still in business) you might be able to get some assistance--maybe. But, unless you are already registered and approved, there's that process to go through just to be able to submit a question.
They’re not in business anymore. At least not the Louisville Return and Repair center that I believe would have handled this. The Salem Failure Lab is also no more. And as much as I hated dealing with them in the past, the new dashboard makes me miss it.

As far as the issue at hand, it’s a known issue with UCSAs supplied by a vendor before FW36 of 2010. It’s a hardware failure related to age and/or frequent power cycles. If you can post the serial numbers of the affected controllers, I can confirm that they fall under the manufacture date, but they’ve already failed so... that isn’t exactly helpful. Replacing the controllers with UCSAs manufactured after early 2011 is the fix.

You can register for a Dashboard account here: https://www.ge.com/power/resources/customer-dashboards-portals and click around until you find the replacement parts request, but... I’m not optimistic about finding a UCSA. The UCSBs (which don’t have a DRAM component) have already reached EOL and are hard to find. If you can’t find a vendor with late model UCSAs, UCSCs and a ControlST upgrade (because the controllers aren’t backwards compatible) may be in your future.