Polyethylene Reactor level measurments

Q

Qahtani

We have two reactors in which their level measuremnt is very important for the process. the problem is the natur of the process, which is a risen material (fine material).

I am planning to install two pressure transmitters. one will be on the top and the other will be in the bottom. then I will take their reading to a calculation tag in the DCS and then subtract them to show the diff pressure and then the level.

My question, is this a practical approch?????

Worked on similar jobs (Polyethylene/ Polypropylene) but as you know inside the reactor a reaction is taking place and s.g's will change. From previous experience, the reactors I've worked have been Union Carbide design based on 3 DP transmitters, with 1 DP cell for the top expansion chamber level measurement. All impulse tubing connections were N2 purged through manifolds.

Gray

A gamma gauge may be a better solution. ThermoMeasuretech, Berthold, and Ronan are options for you to consider.

W
Well, it's been tried a lot. When I worked for Texas Nuclear in the 1980s we replaced a lot of dual pressure transducer applications with nuclear
level gauges, because _they_ work.

Walt Boyes

---------------------
Spitzer and Boyes LLC
"consulting from the engineer
to the distribution channel"
21118 SE 278th Place
Maple Valley, WA 98038
Ph. 425-432-8262
Fx. 253-981-0285
[email protected]
www.spitzerandboyes.com