16-bit microcontroller for Brushed DC Motor Control

D

Dylan

Hi.

I want to use a 16-bit microcontroller with PWM to control the speed of a brushed DC motor under varying loads. However, I have not done anything like this before and would appreciate if anyone can help me on this project. I have wirewrapping and microprocessor projects experience. Please email me at [email protected] if you have any reports, papers, comments and suggestions to help me along. Thanks.

A

Abhinav Kalamdani

Hi Dylan,

Actually there are a huge number of microcontrollers available. However I would suggest you can go in for PIC18F452 from Microchip (http://www.microchip.com).
They are very well suited for motor controls and they are enhanced 16 bit. There is a facilty for PWM, ADC, Timers, Communication and many more and above all you can program using C and carryout floating point operations for implementing the control algorithms.

The programmers are also available for very low price. If you want you can go for 8-bit PIC16F877 but programming is in assembly and speed is less and implementing the control algorithm is difficult.

mail me at [email protected]