1747-PIC module for SLC500

Z

Zeljko Fucek

Is there any "cheap and dirty" alternative to PIC module, like RS232 cable with pinout available somewhere on the Web?

Thanks,

Zeljko

J
I would like to know this too. We recently obtained new laptops with Windows 2000. RSLinx does not support the 1747-PIC with Win2000. Rockwell knows of the problem, and is working on it?? I obtained a 1784PCMK card and a 1784-PCM4-B cable to replace the PIC module. This was not inexpensive.

The bbest answer is to obtain SLC500s that have the RS232 port. The all you need is a Null Modem cable.

A

amora fibrianto

I think there were no 'cheap & dirty' alternative for PIC.......

I don't know if a Net-AIC can do what PIC do....??

Rgrds,
AF

S
Zeljko,

AB publishes their cable pin outs so that you may make your own cables if you desire. See their automation catalog.

Sid

J

Joe Jansen/ENGR/HQ/KEMET/US

The only thing I have seen that is compatible is from B&B Electronics, PN: 232ABRJ45

It is a direct replacement. I got mine for 160USD, if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately, I do not think you can use a standard 232 - 485 converter due to the timing issues of DH-485 protocol.

HTH

--Joe Jansen

L

Larry Lawver

There are lots of alternatives, as is always true in automation. One that is not obvious is upgrading the processor rather than upgrading the
communications hardware. SLC 5/01 and 5/02 users that must upgrade their user environment to Win2k can mitigate the cost and get rebates from A-B by
upgrading the control processor to the 1747-L531 SLC 5/03.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida

Beware, the latest revision of RS Logic that supports 2000 will not drive the PIC or AIC modules.
Ray Yuzna

J
A NET-AIC+ is nothing more than a PIC in a fancy dress (and designed to talk to other 485 devices on a independent network). Unfortunately, it uses the same PIC driver in Linx.

Unfortunately, a PCMK is probably the only way to go if you want to use the latest laptop. I have, however, found a older Compaq 75 mhz. Pentium that will run a older version of Linx and talk to a PIC (they're sold on E-Bay day and night pretty cheap). Newer laptops do not use the RS-232 the same way and will crash.

I've also ordered (but have yet to receive) a PCMCIA card that I was told on this site would allow my new Toshiba to do the job (a RS-232 from a PC card). I'll let you know if this works.

A 5/03 or above will also have a -232 port that works great with a null modem cable, but no network connectivity to other devices (if you need that, as I do).

Hope this helps..

John Kelley
[email protected]

J
A NET-AIC+ is nothing more than a PIC in a fancy dress (and designed to talk to other 485 devices on a independent network). Unfortunately, it uses the same PIC driver in Linx.

Unfortunately, a PCMK is probably the only way to go if you want to use the latest laptop. I have, however, found a older Compaq 75 mhz. Pentium that will run a older version of Linx and talk to a PIC (they're sold on E-Bay day and night pretty cheap). Newer laptops do not use the RS-232 the same way and will crash.

I've also ordered (but have yet to receive) a PCMCIA card that I was told on this site would allow my new Toshiba to do the job (a RS-232 from a PC card). I'll let you know if this works.

A 5/03 or above will also have a -232 port that works great with a null modem cable, but no network connectivity to other devices (if you need that, as I do).

Hope this helps..

John Kelley
[email protected]

F

Frank Mitchell

I have heard that you can make a hardware adapter with a couple of chips but something a little more substantial is usually in order for industrial applications. I have used the following:

Running the PIC driver under RSLinx, connect a 1747-cp3 or a 1761-cbl-pmo2 cable from your computer to a 1761 net aic (aic+) module and then use a 1761-cbl-as09 cable to connect the aic+ module to your SLC503. The aic+ module is stand-alone but must be powered by 24v (from your SLC).
I have heard rumors that AB will be phasing out the PIC module with the advent of Win2000 but I
don't know this to be true.

regards,

frank