1747-UIC Problems!!!!

J

J

Hello all,

I am having problems downloading to a PanelView 600 using a 1747-UIC (Allen-Bradley's USB to DH485 converter). I had no problems uploading/downloading to SLC 5/03 controllers and also for that matter I had no problem uploading the existing application from the PanelView. When I download though at some point during download (whether it is 5%, 8% or as high as 66%) it will fail and the error message is that the PV had a timeout.

Unfortunately there is only one port on this PV (Catologue number 2711-T6C5L1X, Ser. A, Rev. D, FRN 4.10). Rockwell says that there are no known issues with the firmware or the PanelView and they do not know what the problem is. The firmare on the settings screen is as follows;

Boot: V01.06
Firmware: V04.20

I have been able to download the app using an older laptop with a built-in serial port sucessfully but that fact remains that as I understand I should be able to do it with my 1747-UIC.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J

The Panelview group continues to march to a different drummer.

My favorite solution for you is a PCMCIA flash memory card. AB will sell you one, or go directly to Sandisk. Your laptop will recognize the card as another drive. From Panelbuilder, save your project as *.pva to the memory card, install the card into the back of the Panelview600, and 'Restore From Memory Card'.

T
That's interesting, because you say you can upload using the UIC, but cannot complete a download. Looks like a time-out problem with the PV. Sad that A/B doesn't want to help.

But this interests me because I am having trouble making connection to a 500SLC fixed unit.Are you using a C13 cable from the port on top of the UIC to connect to your 503? I can connect from the bottom port to a Micrologix using that specified cable. So I know the config out of the laptop is okay. Just can't make connection from the RS485 port. If one port works the other one should, don't you agree?!!

Sorry I'm no help with your problem, but if you would reply to mine, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Be careful with AB memory cards (2711-NM14 for example) - these cards cannot be written to by a laptop equipped with a pcmcia slot - they require a dedicated card drive that is a nightmare to find. Practically speaking the only way to write these cards in a Panelview.

regarding your other problem - I have had similar problems uploading to a Siemens TP - coms falling over and timing out - I found that the only way to upload in one case was to remove the TP from the chassis and upload on the bench. The factory ground was creating enough noise to disturb coms.