1784-PCC PCMCIA Resource Conflict

S

steve

I just got a new laptop (Latitude E6410) and it will not allocate memory resources for my PCMCIA CNet card for some reason. The card and slot are fine. My DH+ card works fine in the slot and when putting the CNet card in another computer it works.

I have tried manually setting and reloading the drivers numerous times and in numerous ways. Each time I get the same error measage 'This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)'

I even modified the MemConfig settings in the PccWdm.inf file several time with different values (see below) but it still gives the same error.

PccWdm.TA]
ConfigPriority=NORMAL
MemConfig=1000@A000000-FFFFFFFF
MemConfig=200@A000000-FFFFFFFF
IrqConfig=2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15
PcCardConfig=20(M XM0 CA)

Has anyone seen this before and resolved it.
Thanks

I just got an E6510 specifically because Dell is about the only laptop company out there still supporting PCMCIA. I am of the same agreement that I do not want to purchase a new U2CN after buying a new laptop, that is crazy. My 1784-PCC card works fine on my older D-class Latitudes. I too went through the same exercises of re-wrting the pccwdm driver to see if I can make this work. What is interesting, and the reason I knew it would fail, is because the pccwdm driver is written broadbased, basically wherever you can find room shove it in. So I took the addressing out of my D-810 latitude of 000DE000-000DEFFF (line 1) and 000DD000-000DD1FF, IRQ 7. Basically this is a range of 000-FFF and 000-1FF. I compared this range in the E6510 and it was used. So I manually went through the entire resource list found A******** was basically empty. So I then proceeded to re-write the pccwdm driver to use only A0000000-AFFFFFFF range. Well lo and behold it still said there was a conflict so I tried to overide it and it came back with a range of 000-FFF on the top line and 000-1FF on the next line. So I manually assigned A001000-A001FFF on the first line and A0000000-A00001FF on the second line. I re-booted and the prognosis was...Code 12.

What I do find interesting is Rockwell only answer is to buy a new U2CN because we all have a couple of thousand dollars kicking around for a cable that is probably made over seas quite inexpensively. To me this is ridiculous. After the cost of new laptops, software, license fees (annually) expecting small integration companies to fork over the cost of a U2CN is a bit much. Still I think the issue is with Dell because, as earlier said, the pccwdm driver is written pretty broad based on where the driver is placed. Basically any available memory location from 0 to FFFFFFF and any IRQ not used. This work well on the D and earlier series, Therefore the Dell chipset is holding something back. Maybe the driver should be sent to Dell with the question "why does this work on D series but not E series?" From what I can see from other threads people are buying Dells specifically because they can still integrate PCMCIA. So it might be in Dell's profit interest to make this work, even if it means they write the driver themselves. Hey I've got three years tech support, might as well rattle someones cage.