220 V Control power

B

Bob Peterson

This is a wierd one. has anyone every heard of 3 wire/220 V control power before. This set of drawings I have shows a Hot and a Neutral coming in, labels its as 220VAC, and only has circuit breakers in the hot leg. Its going to China so maybe its legit, but somehow it seems like maybe someone mucked up along the way. Bob Peterson

A

Alex Mueller

3x220V is very common in different countries. The last time we had to deal with equipment for 220V, we just used a 3 phase transformer to bring the voltage from 220V up to our standard 400V. The client was happy with that because by using our standard equipment we could keep the costs down. Alex

C

Culver, George

Bob, The system you described is a 220 volt, single pole, grounded neutral circuit. It is common in China and parts of Europe. 220 volts is the nominal lighting and plug receptacle voltage there. The three wires you noted are phase (hot), grounded neutral, and equipment grounding conductor. George Culver Chief Electrical Engineer Huntair Inc. (503) 403-4493

M

Michael Griffin

To perhaps clarify this a bit more, 220V is 380V / 1.7 - where 380V is 'Y' connected three phase with a neutral. In other words, this is similar to how 120VAC is derived from a 208V three phase 'Y' system. They do use 380V 3 phase 50Hz in China, as well as a lot of other places. I would suspect that it is the most common voltage world wide. At 12:24 16/03/01 -0800, Bob Peterson wrote: <clip> >This is a wierd one. has anyone every heard of 3 wire/220 V control power >before. > >This set of drawings I have shows a Hot and a Neutral coming in, labels its >as 220VAC, and only has circuit breakers in the hot leg. > >Its going to China so maybe its legit, but somehow it seems like maybe >someone mucked up along the way. <clip> ********************** Michael Griffin London, Ont. Canada [email protected] **********************

X
Bob: 3 wire/220V singe phase power is the industrial standard in China versus 3 wire/110 V here in the states. Claire Liu