3 phase fan motor for car

T

teodragos

Hello,

I have a problem with my dissertation project where I threat the DC motors from passenger-cars industry . Maybe you can help me identifying a 3-Phase fan drive motor on a Phaeton that I studied and I need to find out if is a AC or DC motor. This motor works when I supply current between 2 of 3 coil wiring, but the rotation of the motor is erratically (also the fan control unit doesn't look to be an inverter to me). There is some kind of speed sensor regulator with 3 transistor's embedded on a plate facing the external rotor(the stator is inwards). I have pics taken and I will post them if there is somebody that can help me with this (till next week preferably).
Thanks a lot.

I may know something about that motor. I don't think that too many designs used an external rotor so there is a good chance it is the one that I think it is. Post the photos on a site somewhere so that I can see if I recognize it.

When you reply with a link to the photos, also try to answer the following questions:

1) Is it an engine cooling motor, or an HVAC motor?

2) Do you know what car it came out of (Ford, BMW, etc.)?

3) Did you pull the fan off? If so, how did you do that and what tools did you use? Do you still have the fan? Was it a press fit, twist on, or a clip or pin? This may not sound relevant at present, but I will explain later if it becomes necessary.

4) What does the lead (wires) look like? How many wires are there? Are they all the same thickness? A photo of the lead where it enters the motor would help here.

5) Is there any external "box" in the middle of the lead? If so, include a photo of it. (There may not be if everything is inside the motor housing).

6) Do you know if the motor has ever been dropped?

7) I think you said you looked inside the motor. Do you see any electronics of any kind in there?

8) Is there any name plate information either printed on the motor, or on a sticker?

If you have pulled the fan off, then photos of both the front (shaft end) and the back (away from the shaft) would be helpful in identifying it. So, there should be front view, back view, and a side view (so I can see how long it is). A close up of the lead and an overall view showing everything would help as well. If you don't have all that, just show what you do have.

Even if it's not a model that I am directly familiar with, I can probably tell quite a bit about it from looking at it. Let me know when you have the photos posted, and I'll take a look at them and tell you what I can.