Floboss S600 Ethernet Port

N

Naveed

We have a gas metering station where we have four Floboss S600 and two gas chromatographs connected to DMSPlus servers through Lanstream switch. Floboss and DMSPlus are connected to RJ45 ports of Lanstream whereas our ControlLogix PLC and Gas chromatographs are connected on serial (RS232 Modbus RTU). We are using Prosoft MCM module for communicating with Modbus RTU.

We are going to upgrade our Floboss system and it will no more be compatible with DMSPlus. We want to connect Floboss directly to PLC and use Honeywell Experion Scada in place of DMSPlus.

Now my question is: Can I use MVI56-MNET (Prosoft Modbus TCP/IP) module for Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLC to connect to Floboss S600 ethernet ports?

You provided lots of information, but you didn't state whether a Floboss can talk Modbus TCP.

I have no idea what technology a Lanstream switch is and the cited RJ45 ports are merely wiring connectors; RJ45 is not solely an ethernet connector, especially in the controls world. Woe be to the person who makes that assumption. So it isn't clear whether your Floboss is presently talking Modbus RTU (serial) or Modbus TCP (ethernet).

The FloBoss S600 instruction manual I found on the web says:
"Three EIA-422/485 (RS-422/RS-485) serial ports (up to 38400 bps baud) for connection to intelligent meters, Modbus SCADA data networks, DCS Supervisory Systems, and so on."

References in the manual
http://www.documentation.emersonpro...documents/instruction_manuals/d301150x412.pdf (take out the space(s) the forum inserts)

for TCP and ethernet IP address assignment all seem to refer to the S600's webserver functionality, not to Modbus map access.

That set of data infers the S600 talks Modbus RTU (serial) and does not speak Modbus TCP (ethernet) natively. But it could be out-of-date or for the wrong model, or the fact that I didn't read the whole manual, so it's not definitive.

But, if the data are correct, then you will need a Modbus serial server box that can convert from Modbus RTU (serial) on the S600 side to Modbus TCP (ethernet) on the PLC side.

HMS Anybus, Digi, and Lantronix are some of the players in the serial server market. Be sure to get one that is designed for Modbus.

C

Carl Burgess

You should have no problem getting a MVI56-MNET card to talk Modbus/TCP to the Floboss 600. I've done plenty of S600 projects using Modbus/TCP. The MVI56-MNET is straight forward - especially if you use the supplied AOI's.

Set the S600 as a slave (server) and the MVI56-MNET as the client. Don't forget to set up a slave register map.

A couple of 'gotchas':

The Floboss defaults to Port 501 instead of the industry standard Port 502 - You can change it, but it's caught me out before.

The S600 seems to struggle with multiple client connections. Shouldn't be a problem if the PLC is the only thing talking to it.

Thanks a lot Carl. Your answer really helped me.

Let me explain a little more. As I said earlier, we have four Floboss S600 so I will connect all of them through a switch with my MNET module being Master and all S600s as slaves.

I have got one Floboss S600 for experiments in my lab and I was trying to connect it using Modscan but I wasn't successful with the message <i>TCP/IP connection terminated.</i> I don't know the reason, probably the port setting 502 or some other. Can you share some other gotchas, if you remember some.

You should have no problem getting a MVI56-MNET card to talk Modbus/TCP to the Floboss 600. I've done plenty of S600 projects using Modbus/TCP. The MVI56-MNET is straight forward - especially if you use the supplied AOI's.

Set the S600 as a slave (server) and the MVI56-MNET as the client. Don't forget to set up a slave register map.

A couple of 'gotchas':

The Floboss defaults to Port 501 instead of the industry standard Port 502 - You can change it, but it's caught me out before.

The S600 seems to struggle with multiple client connections. Shouldn't be a problem if the PLC is the only thing talking to it.
Dear Sir
I know Its An Old Topic . I Have Problem Setting Up S600 Configure To work With Modbus TCP . Is It possible To send Me Sample S600 Configuration So i can Setup The rest According To it . It really Helps me At this moment . Thank you In advance

Dear Sir
I know Its An Old Topic . I Have Problem Setting Up S600 Configure To work With Modbus TCP . Is It possible To send Me Sample S600 Configuration So i can Setup The rest According To it . It really Helps me At this moment . Thank you In advance
Mostly I need It to Work As Modbus Slave , So my New monitoring System Can Get Data From it .