on cooldown for gas turbine

P

patria giri

I wanted to ask about the turbine GE MS 9001E, after overhauling cooldown can not be done, when the torque converter (voith) did not participate dismantled (not experiencing overhaul). as additional information, 1, 2, 3 turbine bearings replaced new with appropriate clearance standard. If using with hydraulic jack from the compressor clutch to acc gear, turbine rotor can rotate but if using a torque converter (cooldown) only lasted about 5 minutes. Is it possible to set the angle of transmission fluid in a torque converter? Please advice

This happens when new bearings are installed in the machine.

Cooldown, sometimes called "slowroll," through the Voith torque converter is VERY dependent on oil temperature. It must be above approximately 27 deg C (approx. 80 deg F) to maintain slowroll.

It is also dependent on bearing clearances. You say they are as per spec, but there is usually a range, and if you are on the low end of the range, then it might just be a little too tight.

It might also be very likely that the limit switches on the torque converter adjustor drive mechanism (presuming it uses limit switches) may not be properly adjusted.

When this happens, it's usually required to run the machine at rate load for a few hours to get everything nice and hot and start opening up the bearing clearances a little.

Fear not; it is NOT a controls problem. It just takes a little "run-in" time.

There is a manual handwheel on the torque converter which can be used to open the torque converter guide vanes to port more oil to the torque converter "motor". You can try this temporarily, but after the machine is warmed up and hot, everything should be okay.

P
thanks for the advice, after going through several experiments on cooldown ( about 100 times ) and interspersed with wearing crankine motor (300 rpm, about 15 minutes), the turbine can operate (start unit ) with a load of 90 MW, a bearing vibration: 3.5 mm / s, 2: 1.0 mm / s, 3: 7.5 mm / s, and operated by HSD for 24 hours. Then do the shutdown to try if the process goes on cooldown, but it was on cooldown process failed. is there any possible problems in the torque converter ( Voith )? Please advice to resolve

When the new bearings were installed in the GT, was an alignment of the bearing housings performed? (These days, that's usually done with a laser-equipped device.)

Was the alignment of the generator to the turbine checked and adjusted after the new GT bearings were installed?

Was the accessory gear alignment to the turbine checked and adjusted after the new GT bearings were installed?

<b>You DID NOT reply with any information about the L.O. Header temperature (usually signal name LTTH, or LTTH1). What is the L.O. Header Temperature when you trying to keep the unit on Cooldown via the torque converter?</b>

Did you try using the manual handwheel on the Torque Adjustor mechanism when the unit is on Cooldown to open the Torque Converter guide vanes more to see if it helps with the problem, which might indicate that the Torque Adjustor limit switches might require adjustment?

(The above presumes that limit switches are used to position the Torque Converter guide vanes, and that some other mechanism (like a position indicator or a current transducer) isn't used for controlling the torque transmitted by the Torque Converter.)

You have said that the Torque Converter was refurbished during the outage. How was it "tested" or commissioned during the re-start after the outage? It's entirely possible that it is not properly adjusted, but we can't know that. There's no "detent" for slowroll that you can just make a simple adjustment to arrive at; it's a field-adjusted variable.

Years ago we had a similar thread; please use the 'Search' feature in the far right corner of the Menu bar at the top of every control.com page to find related threads. I don't recall exactly what the final outcome was.

I think the thread I was referring to is:

http://www.control.com/thread/1258018039

I have face the same problem as above. My machine was GE Frame 9E Rated 100MW. When put on TG after crank the speed seem to be lower than actual TC setting of 110 turn..n then after fire for about 3 hours during commissioning n then shutdown, TG motor was cut in but the shaft not rotate. it cause us to be put on standstill for 48 hours. do u have any idea what are the cause of this problem?