Driver of starter of gas turbine

Hello
We have a driver module for starter of a gas turbine. It converts 4to 20mA into 0_13 volts. But now it does not work. When we apply 4to 20mA, we just read 24vDc as output. Could anyone help me what is the problem?

Hello Sabasnm272

I could may help on this thread and share with everybody here any interesting information.

What do you mean by driver module for strating gas turbine ??
As there is Static frequency converter used for that means, there is also diesel or electrical motor for that function.

Starting means device type , gas turbine type /controls systems model used ... must be clarified if you want an support on that issue.

Hope this help
James

Sabasnm72,

Sometimes, quite often actually, when things fail (especially electronic things) they just suddenly and without warning cease working.

It would be most helpful if you would provide information about the manufacturer and model number of the driver module, what you have done to troubleshoot the problem (specifically) and what the results were.

You seem to be saying--please correct me if I am wrong--that the driver module receives a 4-20 mA signal (probably from the gas turbine control system) and then converts that signal to 0-13 Volts (presumably DC volts). Is this a speed reference for the gas turbine starting means?

I presume the driver module receives a voltage- and current source from some power supply. Have you confirmed the power supply to the driver module is receiving a proper power supply?

As James, ControlsGuy25, has suggested--the more information you can provide the better our responses can be. And, the more we know about what you have done--and even how you have done it and even more importantly what the results were--specifically--the better and more concise our responses can be. Without more detailed information you can provide the better and more concise our responses can be. Just think--if I said to you, "My watch has quite working; what might the problem be?" how would you respond? Would you ask, "Is it a digital watch or is it a mechanical mechanism watch? If it's a digital watch, have you changed the battery? If it's a mechanical mechanism watch have you wound it? If it's a mechanical mechanism watch are the arms moving at all? If it's a digital watch is the display working, are all the segments working, or is it blank? Does the display change or is it frozen? Is the display easy to read or is it very dim and difficult to see?"

You see, there are lots of things I didn't tell you which are necessary for you to begin to try to help me with my watch problem because you're not where I can show you the watch--just as there are many things you didn't tell us and we can't know because we can't see the equipment you are having a problem with. AND, just as all watches are not alike neither are all gas turbines and gas turbine starting means.

Having had to say all that, it's still true that many failures requiring replacement occur suddenly and without warning. That's what spare and replacement parts are for. We also don't know anything about the age of the equipment or its condition or how it's been maintained. And, while I'm NOT a proponent of simply swapping components without knowing something about the failure and the equipment (because if the cause of the failure was something external to the failed part the new part can fail very quickly!) it happens very frequently in today's high tech world that the part that failed can't be troubleshot to the component level and has no user-serviceable parts and must just be replaced. And because we didn't have any real actionable information from the original post I thought you might replaced the failed part but hadn't told us. (I was really trying to elicit more, better information from you--in fewer words than I just used.)

Help us to help you--consider the watch analogy and give us as much information as you can--and I think you will probably be very (much) happier with the response you receive.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Dear CSA
many thanks for your comprehensive explanations. I will try to find all information which are required to have a better understanding of problem.
Thank you

Dear CSA
many thanks for your comprehensive explanations. I will try to find all information which are required to have a better understanding of problem.
Thank you
Hello ALL,

Sabasnm ,

We still do not have informations about module ( model /type Manufacturer, function ...) that you are talking about .

There are several module installed on LCI/SFC which I worked on , so please just precise which function should be is ensured by this module, so we can try to assist you .

Controls Guy25.

Hi, i need help, i have a 1305 powerflex ,the output freqency change, what causes the speed variation, knewing i have decoupled the motor and gearbox. I also chaked the freqence command which also varies.

Hi, i need help, i have a 1305 powerflex ,the output freqency change, what causes the speed variation, knewing i have decoupled the motor and gearbox. I also chaked the freqence command which also varies.
Hi

We clould try to give you some support, but there is no issue decribed in your post....

Please clarify if you facing issue or something else....

Controls Guy25.

So, JAMKAM seems to be be asking: How does an Allen-Bradley Powerflex 1305 work to vary the speed of the AC motor it is connected to?

There is a formula which can be expressed in two different ways (solving for two different variables).

F = (P*N)/12O
or
P = (120*F)/N

Where:
F = Frequency (in Hz)
P = Number of poles of AC (Alternating Current) Machine
N = Speed of AC Machine (in RPM)

There are three variables in the equation: F, P & N. Most AC machines have a fixed number of poles (the number of poles can't be changed while the machine is running). So that means there is only one way to vary the speed: by varying the frequency of the applied AC voltage and current to the AC Machine.

The Powerflex 1305 is an adjustable speed or adjustable frequency producing machine. Apply the variable frequency output of the drive to an AC motor and the speed of the AC motor becomes variable.

The speed of AC machines is easy to vary--using a device like the Powerflex 1305. It converts AC to DC then chops up that AC into variable frequency and voltage AC that when applied to the terminals of a AC motor results in the ability to vary the speed of the AC motor and if the device the AC motor is powering.

There are probably thousands of videos on the World Wide Web about AC drives (which have many names and types but which all do the same thing: convert fixed frequency AC (from the grid) to variable frequency and voltage AC to vary the speed of an AC motor).

And it's all really about magnetic forces, in the end. The reaction of different magnetic fields to each other as one appears to rotate around another. Magnetism.

Pretty cool.

If that is the original poster's query.