50 Hz and 60Hz

Z

zaidhrm

Hello every one

I am a power plant operator. i am from Algeria.
I want to ask why in Algeria all generators frequency are 50 Hz,
but in USA and EUR the most generator frequency is 60 Hz or what are the criteria of the generator frequency choice.

Why be the same, when you can be different?

Why use pesos in one country, renminbi in another country, dhirhams in another country, pounds in another country and Euros in some countries?

Why use the metric system in some countries, and SAE in other countries?

"Because mine is better than yours!"

In Japan, one side of the street in some places useds 60 Hz, and the rest of the nation uses 50 Hz.

Before there was "only" 50- & 60 Hz, there was 400 Hz, and 100 Hz, and a bunch of others.

And, finally: "The great thing about standards is: There are so many to choose from!"

R
>what are the criteria of the generator frequency choice.

I don't know the answer but -
Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea are also 50 Hz

I live in Canada now, it's only about 20 years ago they shut down the last 25 Hz power station.

I don't believe either frequency has much of an advantage.

Like most things, it's a compromise.

In an AC system, transmission line inductance causes a voltage drop that in directly proportional to frequency - so there is 20 % more line drop at 60 Hz than at 50 Hz. The capacitance between the line and ground shunts current - again the current low is proportional to frequency. So you could argue that the 60 Hz choice is less efficient. However, for things like transformers, the use of 60 Hz means that hardware can be smaller as less flux is needed (voltage depends on the rate of change of flux).

I think you'll find that the EU also uses 50 Hz. It would appear that 60 Hz is used in North and South America, and Saudi Arabia: the rest of the world uses 50 Hz as standard.

I suspect that another reason for the different standards in different countries might be economic protection. Back when electricity was a new enterprise, European manufacturers and US manufacturers likely wanted to protect their home markets. Thus, US equipment wouldn't work in Europe and European equipment wouldn't work in the US (and, by extension, the most of rest of the Western Hemisphere. Note, Argentina is 50 Hz, and there may be some other South American countries that are also 50 Hz.)

Japan is both, and I believe the reason is that after WW II, Japan wanted to make sure its industry could sell to all markets. They had some pretty effective trade barriers to keep foreign competitors out of their own country.

By the way, Taiwan and South Korea are also in the 60 Hz camp.

thanks for your answer .

i done a web search and found that the frquency choice has historical reasons.

USA want to change from 120 v -60 Hz to 220-240V -50 Hz but it would be too costly, due to all the 120V electrical appliances people had.

finally Both 50Hz and 60Hz have their advantages and disadvantages.

C

Curt Wuollet

The short answer is that the grid is 50 Hz. Not much you can do about it.
This was decided long ago, probably by who had the equipment closest. Very likely from France.

Regards
cww