EPLAN Preplanning for Importing Cable Lists (with Source and Target)

I am attempting to use EPLAN P8 (v.2.9) to import details from a 'holy grail' excel sheet of a cable list with terminal tags and numbers (source and target for each cable). To do this I began importing details in a trial and error fashion through the pre-planning menu to the pre-planning navigator. I have several questions.

Question (1) Has anyone else tried to do this?

In the process of importing from the excel sheet I have not been able to successfully assign source and target for each cable object. It shows up on the synchronization dialog after I work through the field assignment but it disappears after import. ( I do not fully understand the proper structures, definitions, properties and levels to get what I want). I do understand if I import source and target terminals, and cable objects separately, then I can place on the detailed view and source and target are assigned then.

Question (2) Does anyone know how to assign source and target to a cable object in pre-planning 'by import'? (Reason being that the excel file is huge and manual assigning isn't feasible).

On one of my attempted field assignment schemes I was able to have cable, source terminal, and target terminal, all on different levels (not actually assigned as source and target for the cable object btw.). However the result for source and target on the report (planning overview, form: f40_006) had all of the designations of the tree structure from the upper levels. For example, cable: HAC4401, source: HAC4401 X1:5, target: HAC4401 X1:5 TB1:5. (Where X1:5 is source terminal and TB1:5 is target terminal).

Question (3) Does anyone know how to create a 'branch' or 'fork' in the tree structure in the preplanning navigator so that both source and target terminals (planning objects) are on the same level and so do not inherit each others details?

There's a bunch of info in reading the above I know, but if anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance,

MajorMac