800xA system servers update

M

Mohanad

We are having in our power plant, 7 servers (Domain, Aspect, Connectivity and historian), the hardware is old for these servers (SC420) and we have purchased new servers (SC440), I am asking how transfer the 800xA system license from old servers to new servers.

Hello Again Mohanad,

Moving the license is the easy part. Just move the dongle and load the .SLA file supplied with the original system onto your new license server. You should be able to find it somewhere in the CLS directory on the license server machine (Usually the primary Aspect server). If not, get a copy from your local ABB rep.

I assume you already know that moving Aspect Servers to a new machine is not always an easy thing to do. Getting to the point where you are ready to move the dongle may take quite some time.

Rob
www[.]lymac.co.nz

M

Martin Petersen

Hi,

All the licenses are handled by one server, called the license server. It can be any of the existing servers - in my setup, the aspect server is also the license server.

Attached to this license server is a hardware dongle (usually USB) and a license file is installed. The license file is matched with the dongle, and you have to move the dongle to the new server, when you install the 800xA license server software. I not sure if the servers network MAC adress is also part of the license file. If that is the case, you have to contact ABB to have the license changed.

After this is done, every 800xA node, that means all servers, clients, connectivity servers etc., have to be told the name of the new license server. This is done from a program in the "ABB Industrial IT" folder in the start menu. I think it's called something like "License Status Viewer". I repeat, this must be done on ALL 800xa nodes.

The procedure regarding the license server is well described in the 800xA reference manual, which is supplied with the installation discs. I think it's in the "System Configuration" document.

I hope this helps a bit.

Best regards,
Martin Petersen