moisture in solids

D

Daniel

Hi, I need to continuously measure moisture in cereal, range 7...15 %. The ceral is moving in a transportation belt.

I know just a little about infra-red and nuclear gauges. (1) Is there another technology available today? (2) Which are the limitations of each metod? (3) Does anybody knows reliable manufacturers/models?

Thanks in advance

Daniel

Another method is microwave. Berthold is one maker. I have no experience with your application so I can't comment on which method is better or who makes a good instrument. I hope this is helpful.

E
I'm not 100% sure of the details, but I've had more than one customer use a TM-55 moisture sensor to detect moisture of product running across a belt. They seemed to be reliable - sorry I don't have more details.

ed

I have dealt with Nuclear gauges for similar apps, and have found them to be very reliable. I purchase mine through ThermoMeasureTech, 2555 North IH-35, Round Rock, TX 78664, (800)736-0801.

It is probably best they help you with the specific product application. Nuclear, however, will require you to have a Radiation Safety Program, an Officer, and a permit with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (Depending on which state you are in, you will deal with the federal or state version). This is expensive and a pain in the butt.

Again, the high cost is worth it if you want a solid device and low maintenance time.

J

John Perrotti

Try one of our Capacitive Analog sensors. It should give you a relative reating, whether it is accurate enough for your application I don't know.

Best regards,

John Perrotti
Gordon Products
www.gordonproducts.com

Forget nuclear. Neutron source which looks at hydrogen cannot tell the difference between free H2 in water and bound H2 in the cereal. Infra red
looks at surface moisture only. If you figure moisture is uniform that may be OK? Think there may be some microwave systems out there. ThermoMoisture Systems may be a resource? Berthold in Oak Ridge, TN also?

L.Kolbert