A-B 1761-NET-AIC link coupler

J

Jay L. Mackey

I received the standard bare installation instructions with the Allen-Bradley 1761-NET-AIC link couplers (AIC+) I am trying to use. The
manual for this device is not downloadable from the net.

I am trying to link a SLC 5/04 to a PC that is running a machine vision application and a VB operator interface, and also connect to the SLC 5/04 with my programming laptop running RSLogix 500 simultaneously. I have two AIC+ modules and no manuals. The docs that came with the 5/04 were written in 1995 and don't address the use of AIC+ modules.

The main problem is that my programmer or PC cannot see the 5/04 from the second AIC+ module. For all I know, the wiring between the AIC+ modules is incorrect. Or maybe it's something else.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Jay Mackey
Spectra Technologies, Inc.
DFW, Texas

Jay,

Have you tried these Links?

>1761-5.11, Advanced Interface Converter
>(AIC+) andDeviceNet Interface (DNI), Installation Instructions

> Size: 597KB , URL: http://www.ab.com/manuals/cn/1761511.pdf
>Summary: 1761- 5. 11 - June 1999 Installation Instructions
> Advanced Interface Converter (AIC+) (Catalog Number 1761- >NET-AIC)
DeviceNet Interface (DNI) (Catalog Number 1761- >NET- DNI) Inside ...
1761- 5. 11 - June 1999 Installation >Instructions English Section A

or try this one.

> 1761-5.11, Advanced Interface Converter (AIC+) and
> DeviceNet Interface (DNI), Installation Instructions
>
>Size: 638KB , URL: http://www.ab.com/manuals/cp/1761511.pdf
> Summary: Advanced Interface Converter (AIC+) (Catalog >Numbers
1761- NET- AIC) DeviceNet Interface (DNI) (Catalog >Numbers 1761- NET- DNI)
Installation Instructions Inside ... >Advanced Interface Converter (AIC+)
and DeviceNet Interface (DNI) >1 Specifications 1 . E

Joe Buote

J
Jay,
I have the AIC manual in PDF format - would be happy to email it to you - i'm working with Ron Lindsey on this issue as well at your company -

send me an email with your address so we can correspond offline and I'll get that manual on the hardware to you

Sincerely,

John Weber - President
[email protected]
Software Toolbox, Inc.
148A East Charles Street <-- New Address
Matthews NC 28105 USA
Ph: 704-849-2773 or 1-888-665-3678 (US Toll Free)
Fax: 704-849-6388 <-- New!!!
http://www.softwaretoolbox.com

M
There isn't much of a manual for the NET-AIC because it doesn't do too much. It does no protocol conversion, just some isolation and level conversion, in converting DH-485 to RS-232.

Putting a NET-AIC on the DF-1 (serial) port of the 5/04 might get the 5/04 speaking DH-485 on the port. But why not simply connect your DH-485 cable to the DH-485 port on the 5/04? In other words what do you expect to accomplish by placing a NET-AIC on a 5/04?

To solve your problem, I'd contact the local AB distributor. My guess would be that my technical contact would recommend adding a KT-X type card to the PC and running the PC to PLC link over the
resulting DH-485 cable, and using the DF-1 (serial) port on the 5/04 for programming via your laptop.

For more $'s you could use the serial cable to connect to the PC and add a PCMK card to the notebook.

In either case, keep the NET-AIC modules for connecting MicroLogix boxes to the DH-485 network. They work well for that.

Mark

C

Christopher Di Biase

How do you have it wired now? Here's what I would recommend:

SLC 5/04
+--Channel 0 (set for DH-485)
+--PM02 Cable or CP3 Cable to the AIC+
+--AIC+
|
4-wire belden cable, with a tied to term at both
ends and shield to ground on one end.
|
+--AIC+
+--PM02 Cable or CP3 Cable to the AIC+
+--RS232 port
Computer running RSLinx and PIC driver

Also talk a look at document 9106 from the Allen-Bradley support library at
http://www.ab.com/support/kbhome.html

Christopher Di Biase
[email protected]

At10:48 AM 5/9/2000 -0500, Jay L. Mackey wrote:
>I received the standard bare installation instructions with the
>Allen-Bradley 1761-NET-AIC link couplers (AIC+) I am trying to use. The
>manual for this device is not downloadable from the net.
><snip>

R

R A Peterson

<<
Putting a NET-AIC on the DF-1 (serial) port of the 5/04 might get the 5/04 speaking DH-485 on the port. But why not simply connect your DH-485 cable to the DH-485 port on the 5/04? In other words what do you expect to accomplish by placing a NET-AIC on a 5/04? >>

cause there is no DH485 port on a 5/04. its rs232 and the netaic can convert it to dh485 if you configure the serial port correctly.

Bob Peterson