A-B Panelview block transfer

B

Bill Sturm

Hi All, I am working on a project that is due to be commisioned in the next few weeks. It has a SLC 5/04 and a Panelview 900 with RIO. It is unclear to me how the Block transfers to and from the Panelview work. I would like to transfer all of my physical I/O points to the panelview. My first two cards have multiple words, one is the RIO scanner and then I have two analog cards with four words each. I setup a block transfer to the Panelview for x number of words. The panelview is told how many words to receive and the starting PLC address. Does the Panelview then assume that I am sending contiguous addresses and assign PLC addresses to them in order. How can I send multiword I/O? Do I have to copy the I/O images to another file before sending? I was hoping to not duplicate all of the addresses and tags. Also, I noticed that I cannot have two block transfers of the same size in the panelview. Is this how the panelview distinguishes between the different transfers? I am planning to use about six block transfers to pass various segments of my PLC memory to the panelview. I recognize that this is less efficient than one big transfer. Will it be so slow that it becomes useless? Is it easier to just move all of my data to a contiguous transfer area before I send it? What works best? I am trying to keep this as easy as possible with no duplicated tag entries or cross references from many files to one. Thanks, Bill Sturm

A

amora fibrianto

> I am working on a project that is due to be commisioned in the next few weeks. It has a SLC 5/04 and a Panelview 900 with RIO. ## why use RIO ?? why not the DH+ or RS-232 > It is unclear to me how the Block transfers to and from the Panelview work. I would like to transfer all of my physical I/O points to the > panelview. My first two cards have multiple words, one is the RIO scanner and then I have two analog cards with four words each. > > I setup a block transfer to the Panelview for x number of words. The panelview is told how many words to receive and the starting PLC address. Does the Panelview then assume that I am sending contiguous addresses and assign PLC addresses to them in order. How can I send multiword I/O? Do I have to copy the I/O images to another file before sending? I was hoping to not duplicate all of the addresses and tags. ## You must group the data to BTR and BTW function. And yes it can't be in the same length, and i think nothing to do with distinguishing different transfer. > Also, I noticed that I cannot have two block transfers of the same size in the panelview. Is this how the panelview distinguishes between the > different transfers? > > I am planning to use about six block transfers to pass various segments of my PLC memory to the panelview. I recognize that this is less efficient than one big transfer. Will it be so slow that it becomes useless? Is it easier to just move all of my data to a contiguous transfer area before I send it? What works best? I am trying to keep this as easy as possible with no duplicated tag entries or cross references from many files to one. ## i think i don't help you much, try to locate the AB Panelview Know Base on their web.

D

Dave Ferguson

Unfortunately the best practice is to data concentrate your data into contiguous words and pass them. I usually break my data up into write and read blocks and seperate them via 64 words (Block transfer limit) so that when the inevitable expansion happens....) You can use IO directly in the Panelview so that if it is Rack 11 you can use that IO, but for analog (Integer) data, use the BT's. As always the more data transfers you have, the slower things get. If you have more questions....feel free to e-mail off list. Dave Ferguson Blandin Paper Company UPM-Kymmene DAVCO Automation [email protected]

B
You wrote: > > I am working on a project that is due to be commisioned in the next few >weeks. It has a SLC 5/04 and a Panelview 900 with RIO. < > >## why use RIO ?? why not the DH+ or RS-232 There are several reasons, the primary reason is to meet the customers specification. In theory, RIO is well suited for an MMI. The buttons and lamps are updated synchronously with the program scan. This means that the operator will not detect any latencies. Larger blocks of data can be sent asynchronously with block transfers. The only problem is that RIO and Block Transfers are needlessly complicated and difficult to understand, IMHO. Bill Sturm

A

amora fibrianto

> You wrote: > The only problem is that RIO and Block Transfers are needlessly complicated and difficult to understand, IMHO. ## you're correct bill, especially when you deal with SLC5/04. I've try RSLogix500 Ver 4.50. It has BTR and BTW instruction that works and looks like RSLogix5 BTR/BTW instruction. But be aware that you had to have SLC500 in firmware 401 series C. Otherwise it won't work. (just doing it yesterday, after i receive the update) Doing BTW/BTR with COPy instruction is a big headache, that's my humble opinion ?? Have you browsed the AB knowledge base ?? I think there are few example on doing BTR/BTW with RIO PV. Good Luck. Amora Fibrianto