A confused student

F

Fernando Herrera

Recently I started to study a MSc in applied process control. I’m in the last semester of this course and during this time I got an opportunity to continue with a PhD in process control.

My confusion is about the PhD, should I continue studying or should I try to get a job?

I have the feeling that if I study the PhD I will keep myself on the research part and I will never be able to return to the industry. But, on the other hand, not all the time you can get a good scholarship in order to continue with your studies, isn’t it?

As you can see, I am a little bit confused, that is why I would like some advice from you. I hope you can help me with this small problem.

Dear student,

It is always nice to do a research as u will gain more in-depth knowledge on the subject. While doing Phd also, u can have industry relationship so that u can keep abreast the current trends and requirements of the industry and work upon it.

Regards
Sivakumar

I think you are pretty clear about you situation and it's just the matter of which role you want to be in the future.

In most of the case, it'll be better to go out do some real work before you come back to narrow yourself down to the PHD research.

Good Luck.
Leon

M

Michael Griffin

I would suggest that you try for the PhD. You will likely change jobs several times in future, but this may be your only chance for the Phd.

I think you should go to industry for some time until you get a real feel for what area you are interested in for research. Then you can pursue your Ph.D and it is upto you what you select then.

Regards,
Ashok

D
there will always be jobs/ Get the PhD. Technicians will give you a hard time, but only in jest. Don't kid yourself into thinking that a PhD makes you all knowing, but it will open doors. Hell, you may get to do field work and find out some of the processes that are controlled are just plain ugly and you will want to bail and do other things. Enjoy... good luck and godspeed in your endeavors.

Robins out

D

DAVE FERGUSON

You can always make money, you will rarely go back and pursue education because you will be trapped by your consumption of THINGS.

I have 2 sons going to school for Engineering right now and they will at minimum pursue their Masters at this point also. One a 4.0 student and one a 3.6 so as you say scholarships come to them now and will not later (most likely).

A bird in the hand is the old saying... continue with
school in order to compete with the China/India (substitute educational society here) kids who are staying in school.

My own opinion.

Dave