A free service for Linux PLC listmembers

C

Curt Wuollet

Wide Open Technologies (me) is proud to offer a new free service for potential contributers to the LPLC project. It has come to my attention that we have quite a few folks that would like to contribute and participate but don't have a Linux machine. I can't afford to give you a Linux machine, but what I can do is get you up and running in a hurry. Simply contact me off-list and send a spare IDE hard drive. I will load Linux (RH6.2) on it and send it back. This won't always work because of BIOS problems, etc. But, it will almost always boot and run. I won't do dual boots or preserve hdd contents as this almost requires that it be done in your machine. At that point I will provide free E-mail support to get X configured, etc. to the point where you don't have an excuse anymore :^). All will be kept confidential if desired. This is an experimental program, I do this around the lab. I can't of course guarantee or warranty anything and I'd appreciate it if you covered shipping both ways. I will do this on a time available basis. It probably isn't practical outside the US but, we can find out. If any of you other Linux guys out there (especially overseas) would like to help, let me know. Regards cww _______________________________________________ LinuxPLC mailing list [email protected] http://linuxplc.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxplc

Curt Wuollet wrote: ... > send a spare IDE hard drive. I will load Linux (RH6.2) on it and > send it back. ... > If any of you other Linux guys out there (especially overseas) would > like to help, let me know. Many Linux Users' Groups have installfests or similar activities, where you can bring a computer and they'll help you install, including getting X running (always a bit of a black art) and most likely dual boots. Presumably you could bring just a hard disk, but that won't get you X. (Mind you, you don't need X for linuxPLC - personally I prefer to program in text mode anyway.) Ask your local LUG - if they're holding one they'll tell you when, otherwise they'll let you know who can help you. Jiri <[email protected]> _______________________________________________ LinuxPLC mailing list [email protected] http://linuxplc.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxplc