A special tools in MK VI


Thread Starter

BALI abdelaziz

we have got (04) four MKVI TMR control panel for a new project.

1- what are a special tools must be provided for commissionning, troublshooting and maintenance in futur (in standard of GE)

2-what are the necessaries software, provided too.

Thank you

1) The tools required for commissioning and maintenance are roughly the same:

--True AC RMS Voltmeter
--Zero-crossing frequency generator (must be zero-crossing, not TTL output, or have an adjustable DC offset that allows the signal (which could be a square wave or sine wave or sawtooth wave) to cross the zero volts axis).
--mA simulator
--Thermocouple simulator
--millivolt simulator (can be used as a second T/C simulator)

This does not addressing the field devices which must be calibrated or troubleshot and require pressure sources or HART communicators or temperature calibrators, etc.

2) All software required is provided with the HMIs, including the only anti-virus software which is approved to run on GE-supplied HMIs.

BALI Abdelaziz

Thank you for your reply.

but all devices mentionned in your reply are a basic or ordinary materials for any instrumentation work. What I mean by special tool of MKVI is an exclusive material HARD or SOFT furnished with a control panel of MKVI like a serial loader cable, a tool for a flash memory and others.

I ask for a complete list (HARD and SOFT).

Best regards
I interpreted your request to mean what kind of equipment (HARD and SOFT) would be needed in addition to that normally provided with a Speedtronic turbine control panel.

Have you examined the contract under which the equipment was supplied to determine if GE were obligated to provide any "special tools (HARD or SOFT) with the control panels?

It's very common for GE to provide everything required in what was called a "start-up/spares kit". The contents of that kit have shrunken over decades, but except in unusual occasions they are typically supplied, if for no other reason than they might be required by the commissioning staff (Field Engineers, Technical Advisors).

So, the first place to look is the contract.

If you believe you were contractually entitled to this equipment, please ask for or obtain a copy of the packing lists provided with the equipment. They will detail what was provided, however, the "kit" I referred to is sometimes listed only as a single item. If you find such a reference, you can provide the part number from the packing list and ask for details of what was provided in the kit and where the kit is located. Most Field Engineers/T.A.s tried to keep control of this equipment in the event they needed it during the start-up/commissioning, and then turned over the remainder of the contents to a Customer representative before demobilizing from site.

I can't think of any other special "tools" other than the ones you have listed. I'm told the serial loader cable is usually not required for newer Mark VI panels and versions of GE Control System Solutions Toolbox. The flash memory device is a generic flash memory reader/writer and a suitable substitute can be purchased from any electronics shop or retailer.

I have been at many sites where anything provided by GE that isn't bolted down or welded to something else or locked up grows legs and gets up and walks away. Even when items are locked up, they can still "go missing." Compressed gas cylinder caps are among the first things to disappear (they make great bells for ice cream carts and other vendors).

I've seen insulating blankets stolen and used for bedding. We actually found one complete HMI (CPU, monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, software) in a local open air market once when shopping for local souvenirs, with all software licenses! It still had the tags from the GE vendors. I've seen fistfights (plural--not just one) over small screwdrivers with a GE logo on the handle.
Special tools? Serial loader cable? Flash memory device?

Standard furniture?

The operator interfaces (<I>s or GE Mark V HMIs) of many new turbines equipped with Mark V turbine control systems were supplied with desks, for the operator interface. Not as a special tool or something required for the Mark V, but just as a courtesy to "install" the operator interface in an ergonomically correct position. (Actually, I think it was less expensive to provide the rolling desk than to mount the operator interface components in a metal cabinet and provide light, cooling, and electrical outlets.)

Just as many Customers complained the supplied desk was the wrong color (a neutral tan/beige which apparently clashed with MIL-SPEC gray in some eyes), was too wide, too tall, too deep, didn't have enough desk space for writing (it was only intended to have sufficient space for a keyboard and mouse/trackball), didn't have enough shelves, didn't have a keyboard drawer, didn't have a basket for catching printouts from the alarm logger, and didn't come with a chair (which would have been too hard, too soft, didn't swivel, did swivel, didn't have arms, had arms, was the wrong color, and on and on and on, ad nauseum).

I think the practice continued for a short while with the Mark VI operator interfaces, and many new turbines probably are offered some kind of desk as an option (which might be an option with retrofit control systems and operator interfaces as well). Again, check your contract to be certain.

Standard furniture as a special tool for the Mark VI Speedtronic turbine control system.

I learn something every day on control.com!