AB 17147-PIC driver

L

Link Morris

I have had problems in the past with running the ab 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSlinx on a XP machine but as long as I used com1 as the configured port it would work. now that I have a new Laptop it does not have a com port. I have a USB to com adapter but no matter how I configure it (even com1) I can not talk. Is there any fix for this? Rockwell tech has not been able to help and I am a Rockwell system integrator. I have tried compatability mode, disableing ACPI and even installing the 2000 pach. Help....

I have the same problem, I ordered a 1747-UIC from AB, don't know it will solve the problem yet, there's a 32 day wait on that device, that was week. A person from 411-tech told me that device would fix the problem. If I understand correctly, XP and RSlinx with the pic driver will not support the rs232 port, only usb. hope this has help... the SCADA MAN

A straight USB to RS-232 converter will not work with the PIC driver. This is well documented on the Rockwell support site. Rockwell offers a product with a part number of 1747-UIC. This is a USB to DH-485 converter.

J

Jeremy Pollard

This is why we will hurt in the long run - a legacy device, serial (open as open is), basic, and Rockwell HAS developed a new cable for it. They should be ashamed.

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Crazy Canuckian!
Integration and Automation Training, Consulting, and Software
http://www.tsuonline.com

B

Bob Peterson

As I understand the problem its not that AB wanted to do this, but that the PIC driver will not work properly in current versions of Windows. So blame MS if you must blame someone.

Bob Peterson

J

Jeremy Pollard

Hi Bob - not that I'm trying to blame anyone - sounds too easy to point the finger at Gates. The PIC driver works OK in Win 2K so not sure I buy into that arguement.

If it is/was a driver issue then the devel dept should be able to alter the driver to be used with a std USB port. IMHO anyway.

Kinda like a waitress who brings you your plate with fries instead of mash, insteading of noticing that and getting it changed... it was the cook's fault!!

Its just unfortunate... just like our Canadian governments... and that's another story!

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Crazy Canuckian!
Integration and Automation Training, Consulting, and Software
http://www.tsuonline.com

A

Automation Linse

Yes, not directly RA's fault - it is the strict DH485 token rotation timing spec. Same problem that blocks DH485 usage on most radio or Ethernet-encap systems. Common USB/serial plus MS drivers disturbs the bus timing.

- LynnL, www.digi.com