AB DH+ and DH485 to ethernet gateway

C

calmetrics

Anyone have a solution to tie a DH+ and DH485 network to an ethernet network such that from the ethernet network you can browse either network via RSLinx?

M

Michael R. Batchelor

You can do it all from within RSLinx on a single machine using various interfaces. It won't look like a single homogeneous network, but they are all visible. Or you can install RSLinx Gateway on one machine with the necessary interface cards and set up the shares. Then *OTHER* RSLinx nodes on the Ethernet can see all the machines the gateway sees via the Ethernet and it will look like one homogeneous network. But it's more expensive that way.

S

ScienceOfficer

cal---

The exact answer to your question is to use a gateway, such as RSLinx Gateway. For example, install a 1784-PKTXD and RSLinx Gateway on a PC connected to your Ethernet network, and you can browse from another RSLinx across your Ethernet to one DH485 and one DH+.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida

G

Gerald Beaudoin

We did exactly that: Linked the DH 485 to the DH+ using a 1785KA5 card. Later, we installed a ControlLogix chassis to be used as a backplane with an Ethernet card and a DH+ card installed. Plug both networks into the appropriate cards.... and.... of course.... you need RSLinx Gateway. (you didn't think you'd get off that easy.) Some investment required but it does work well. We have had this up and running for about 2 years now with a lot of traffic from data collection.... no problems.

Gerald Beaudoin

If I remember correctly, the ControlLogix platform was originally sold as a Ethernet gateway for older AB networks such as DH485 and DH+. I believe you should be able to accomplish your goal with an ethernet enabled control logix processor and a DH+/DH485 card.

D
You'll need a ControlLogix to interface both I'm afraid. You can bridge the DH+ to ENet with just a backplane and two modules, no processor. But to get the DH485 on board you need a processor also. Unless something new is available via third party. Maybe try someone like ProSoft or get the DH485 converted to DH+ first.

Look For ControlLogix Gateway. With Ethernet 1756-ENBT Card & 1756-DHRIO Card. I believe that AB is also launching the DH485 Card in ControlLogix Series. It might have launched by Now.

Using this gateway You can browse the DH + & the DH 485 Network throught RSLinx on Ethernet.

Use ControlLogix gateway system. This system no need CPU.
In chassis included:
1 - 1756-ENBT or 1756-ENET
1 - 1756-DHRIO
1 -

I think you'll need a ControlLogix for this. You can bridge the DH+ and Ethernet with a backplane and two modules (I think 1756-ENI & 1756-DHRIO) but for the DH485, you'll need a processor. Maybe a third-party vendor has something? Try ProSoft for starters. Or maybe it's possible to convert the DH485 to DH+?

Dan

R

Rafael Becerra

If you want a kind of Gateway, you can use a ControlLogix System composed of:
(1) Chasis (1756-Ax)
(1) DHRIO module (1756-DHRIO) for DH+ network
(1) ControlLogix processor (1756-Lxx) **
(1) Net/AIC adapter ** - 1784-NET-AIC

(**) The NET-AIC adapter connects to the processor serial port and provides connection to DH-485 networks.

I'm not sure, but I heard about a DH-485 module in ControlLogix. If such module exists, you will use it instead of the Processor and NET-AIC.

Hope this could help you, regards

Rafael Becerra
Omnicon Ltda
Cali - Colombia

You can plug an Ethernet module and a DHwhatever module into a ControlLogix backplane. You don't need a processor. The communication modules will act as gateways.

See http://www.ab.com/manuals/cl/17566513.pdf

I have used this setup to make an Enet to DH+ gateway. It works with RSLinx, but does not require it. I used it with a Kepware OPC server for data acquisition and RSLinx (the lite one) to program. I'm not a fan AB communications, but they did a very good job on this. It's a major improvement over the $20,000 Pyramid Integrator and RSLinx Gateway.

jk