AB PLC 5 1771 rack to Genius I/O bridge

A

Anonymous

Does any one know of a third party card to link Between Allen Bradley's 1771 I/O rack and Genius I/O system.

I'm pretty sure you won't find an adapter card for the 1771 chassis that makes it Genius I/O slave. Nor will you find a scanner card for the PLC-5 platform that directly scans Genius I/O.

I've investigated two network gateways that will interconnect A-B Universal Remote I/O and Genius I/O networks.

The first is, as usual, SST's X-Link box. They offer cards for both protocols, and the X-Linx software can map one to the other. The big drawback I found there is that (as far as I can tell without implementing it myself) you can only exchange one I/O datagram per scan, so it would take a very long time to scan the whole data table of Genius I/O.

The second option is unfortunately hard to find; it's a STD-Bus card computer that bridges RIO to Genius. Pro-Log used to build it, then Motorola bought out their industrial PC platforms business. When I talked to the product manager two years ago he said they'd have to dust off the prints to build some, but that yes they were still available. From the literature and manuals I read, these were a much smoother translator from RIO to Genius. I didn't find it in a search of the Motorola MCG site, but it's hardly a marquee product and maybe a phone call would do the trick.

A

Allen Nelson

A few years ago, I installed a SLC 5/04 to drive GEnius I/O. A PLC-5 will work the same way.

Used SST's XLinx box.

Ken is wrong about the scan time. The XLinx has two card - one for AB, the other for GE. To the SLC, it looks like remote I/O, and scans the data table just like any other RI/O.

To the GEnuis blocks, the X-Linx looks like a GE PLC, which scans the blocks at a rate set up by the configuration software.

The configuration software also maps the GE I/O data to the AB RI/O addresses.

Very easy to set up.

M
Several Years ago I sat in on a GE presentation where they were using an AB PLC-5VME to talk on a Genius Bus. I looked through my old VME PLC stuff though and came up empty handed.

Thanks
The ProLog STD Bus card was the one I had seen and was looking for. I used a number of SST’s products and will look into using it.