AB PLC to PC (serial) communication

U

umi1

I have been tasked with developing communications package to send or receive the data from PLC SLC5/03 and PC (Application VB 5.0) and visa versa for Ware House Management system, How can i communicate the data through RS232 serial communication. Help !!!

S

Skye Controls

There are many tools out there today to do this. I have used a couple of different ways and here they are listed below: 1. RsLinx has a sdk kit you can purchase and create your own driver to link to VB, using DF1. 2. I have created a Active-X tool that does the same and has been released for about 2 years, and so does a few other companies as well. 3. Download the Allen Bradley Pub #1770-6.5.16 command set reference manual and try it on your own. 4. I will develop you, a app if needed or at least guide you in the right direction.

S

Sebastien Chouinard

You can access the data directly if you write your driver from scratch based on the documentation that A/B supplies. But the easiest way if it's a Windows based system is to access the data using RSLinx professional. We never did this but the A/B rep told us that RSLinx can be accessed from any application (say Excel) The command in Excel would look something like: =RSLinx(PLC,TEST,I6:9) That would return the value (in this case 1 or 0) store in Input word 6 bit 9. Just get the full story on RSLinx Pro

A

Allen Nelson

There are at least 3.5 ways: 1. Buy RSLinx, and use it as an OPC server. 1.5 Buy RSLinx, and use DDE. 2. Buy CimQuest's InGear, or similar ActiveX driver use that in your program 3. Search the AB website for their DF-1 protocol (possibly Publication 1770-6_5_16 - old note), and write your own driver in VB. HTH

you can establish the communications using the RSLinx software provided with your RSLogix PLC programming software. You will need the appropriate cables as well. I highly recommend you get your cables from CJT Technologies (cjttechnologies.com) or any one of their distributers. the cables are much cheaper that way. You can use OPC or DDE to address the points you desire.

G

Godfrey Mungadze

you can download Kepware's OPC server from the following site: opcfoundation.org Try using this, I'm hope it will help. It works with many PLC brands including AB. hope you find this useful Godfrey

This may be a little later (I just stumbled across your question). Due similar problems we have had in the past, we have a patent pending on a product that we 'announce' this June that does all of the communication with the SLC 5/03 via DF1 and all you need is an ODBC connection via ethernet to see everything. No run-time keys, no tag limits.... just set it up through your ODBC administrator and you are seing live data as well as historical data, events and a bunch of other goodies. If you have not solved your problem by now and htis sounds interesting, please reply.

G

Greg Goodman

> we have a patent pending on a product ... that does all of the communication with the SLC 5/03 via DF1 and all you need is an ODBC connection via ethernet to see everything. <

what, exactly, is patentable about an ODBC wrapper for the DF1 protocol, or ODBC access to a DF1 scanner?

R

Robert Baxter

> what, exactly, is patentable about an ODBC wrapper for the DF1 protocol, or ODBC access to a DF1 scanner?<

The patentable portion is the method by which we interface with the PLC. It is not ODBC dependent, that is just one connection option.