AB PLC2 Programming Software

D

Dan Boate

I hope someone can help me. Most of my PLC programming experience (which is limited) has been with PLC5s and SLC 500s using RSLogix, so I will try my best to describe my problem. Some of the other technicians at my plant have recently been experiencing problems downloading programs into our PLC2s (approx 15 of them). Upgrading to PLC5s is on the way but will not be completed for years to come. Now I haven't had the opportunity to troubleshoot this problem myself but my boss has asked me to investigate other PLC2 programming software packages that are available. What we currently use is called Taylor, from a company called Taylor Industrial Software Inc. Not even sure if that company is still around. What do most of you guys use? I have heard of an AB program called AI? Are there any windows based programming applications for the AB PLC2 family of processors. We would like to get away from DOS applications.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

You need to check with Rockwell Software for the PLC2 AI Series Software. Their Cat#'s are
9325L3140D for offline programming and 9325L316D
fpr online software.

B

Bob Peterson

PLC2s are so old I doubt there is any software not DOS based available for it. AB still sells the AI2 software I think. Its not too bad. very pricey.

Taylor was bought by Schneider and I think they discontinued selling and/or support for anything not modicon. You could ask at the Modiocn website.

best bet would be to just live with what you have. It works OK, as long as y ou don't have to make lots of changes.

Then convert to a more current PLC ASAP. Any of the current AB lines (PLC5/SLC500/CLX) might be a good choice as they can all use the exisitng I/O one way or another. BUT, if you are going to upgrade why upgrade to a PLC5 or SLC500 that is close to being obsolete themselves? Might as well upgrade to contrologix as it is the clear platform of the future.

Bob Peterson

Did you have any luck? I have the same problem and I would like to know what did you found out. Did you try the company in Australia?

Thanks!

I've heard good things about http://www.austglobal.com/plcc.html. I think there's a demo version you can DL as well.

As far as Taylor Software goes.. They were acquired by a company called Total Control Products, who was acquired by GE FANUC. The guys at Taylor, in Edmonton, Canada, are responsible for the Cimplicity Machine Edition software.. their PC control software.

- CH

L

Lynn at Alist

Sounds like too-new Windows on your field techs too-new notebooks.

If you only have 15 PLC2 and plan to get rid of them in a few years, why not just buy a couple of nice used notebooks from the web, install DOS or older Windows and just use these as dedicated for PLC2? You can get some nice IBM/Toshiba/Sony with 2-year old PII or PIII technology for $350-500 (most are returned from corporate lease programs - my used IBM T-20 for $450 even came with a 1-year warrenty from IBM & a Win98 license).

Seems less work than changing Ladder Programmer software.

- LynnL

J

Jeremy Pollard

PLC2 software is not windows based du to age. Topdoc, Taylor, Updoc Icom and 6200 series software from AB are options. Or find and integrator to help.

Conversion software available too.

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Crazy Canuckian!
Integration and Automation Training, Consulting, and Software
http://www.tsuonline.com

Please note Address Change..............

3 Red Pine Court, RR# 2 Shanty Bay, Ontario L0L 2L0
705.739.7155 Cell # 705.725.3579

J

Jeremy Pollard

Hey Bob - ProWorx was sold not the company...... but the revenue might have suggested that! TESS and the AB stuff sort of dissaeared, but ran into Neil Taylor in an airprt no less, and TESS is still going on, but progrmming softare is a dead issue.

He is also involved in some chemical software as well. Always moving:)

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Crazy Canuckian!
Integration and Automation Training, Consulting, and Software
http://www.tsuonline.com

PLCopen North America - [email protected]
http://www.PLCopen.org

Please note Address Change..............

3 Red Pine Court,
RR# 2 Shanty Bay, Ontario L0L 2L0
705.739.7155 Cell # 705.725.3579

M

Murray Berlin

This may be difficult but try and find something less than a PII... I have found that the faster processors will give you grief. Find an old PI 133 or 166 and the Taylor package you have will work.

good luck.

Murray Berlin
Automation Integrator
[email protected]