AB Scanner Card ,BTR/BTW & RS232

C

Clueless

New to all of this, but would like to reduce my cost by eliminating the scanner card if possible. I'm running a program from a 5/04 processor (1747-l542 C 7) that has a DH+ and RS232 Port and a 900 Series Panelview (2711-T9C1 C), which has a RIO and RS232 port. Curious if it's possible to perform data transfer by connecting the two devices through the RS232 Ports without the use of the scanner card? And if possible, how and what about the buffer file address for the BTR's & BTR's

Assume you mean 2711-K9C1, the RS232 port is DF1 so setting the 5/04 RS232 port to DF1 (default) should allow a direct connection.

S

ScienceOfficer

The T9C1 can only update tag data and animate screens via Remote I/O (RIO). The RS-232 port on a T9C1 can only be used for upload, download, and serial printing.

It's not clear what you are trying to do, but I'm guessing that you are trying to use some existing parts to build or upgrade a new system, and are trying to avoid adding an RIO scanner card that you don't have on hand. That won't work, so you are going to have to buy something--- but I'll recommend against that being the scanner card.

The T9C1 is no longer available for new sales because the 9" screen is not manufactured anymore. A ten inch PV1000 replaced the PV900 in the lineup, and Rockwell provides discounts to customers that want to migrate to newer products. Contact your Allen-Bradley rep for details.

I'm recommending that you migrate to a 2711-T10C8 (DH+) or 2711-T10C16 (DF1), either of which would be far easier to program, and both of which can talk directly through the front ports of the 5/04 processor.

Hope this helps!

Larry Lawver
Rexel / Central Florida