AB SLC5/03

H

HASS

I HAVE OLD PLC AB SLC5/03 I HAVE SOME QUESTION

1- HOW TO CONNECT IT TO MY LAPTOP WHAT THE SOFTWARE REQUIRED IS IT FREE?

2- I NEED TO CONFIGURE IT AND MODIFY THE LOGIC TO COMMUNICATE WITH ANOTHER PLC BRAND TO READ SOME PARAMETERS AND RECEIVE COMMANDS HOW I CAN DO IT ?

B

bob peterson

If you want to program it, you will need to buy the software RSLogix500 from AB.

There may or may not be a way to communicate with another brand of PLC. It depends on what the other brand of PLC is and what communication protocols it has available. Modbus is available for the SLC5/03 via an add on card if the other PLC supports Modbus. There are a number of other add on cards for other protocols.

--
Bob

The software you need is RSLogix 500 from Allen Bradley (Rockwell Automation). It is NOT free. To talk to the PLC with your laptop, you'll need either a serial cable connected to the serial port on your computer (virtual port like the Keyspan USA-19HS works fine) or Rockwell's 1747-UIC with a 1747-C13 cable. This kit cost us about $350 through our distributor.

To talk to another PLC, it depends on what language it speaks. You'll need to do some networking, which may not be trivial. You may also need a protocol converter. More information on the other PLC may elicit a better response.

J

Jerry Miille

We sell SLC500 slot mounted protocol converters as well as stand-alone DIN rail mounted ones. This may provide what you need to communicate with the other PLC. Here is a link http://www.miille.com/PCds.htm

You will need RSLogix and RSLinx to program and communicate with your PC.

Jerry Miille

R
This may be the time to bring in an engineer to assist. There are many one person firms as well as many larger system integrators who know the SLC well. They my be a better choice than doing it yourself. With a proper contract in place, you can also have them teach you more about your equipment and its capabilities.

I'd look at Google and search for Control Engineering Firms or System Integrators in your area as a starting point. I'm guessing that a semi-retired control engineer who is on his own might be just the right person although any SI could do what you are looking for efficiently as well.

Regards,
Russ