ABB-Bailey Infi 90 DCS

A

Anonymous

I would like establish communication link between IMCPM02 Module and Conductor VMS 3.0.1 (Installed in DEC-Apha station).or any other idea about to use Alpha station's Serial port for conductor VMS Communication
Please advise me.

Thanks and Regards

C

Chris Jennings

I assume you are trying to make an OIS4x operator station using a normal DEC-Alpha and a few cards from a OIS.

I would suggest you contact ABB so that they can give you advise which will be helpful in your particular situation. There are limitations on what hardware will run which version of Conductor VMS, Conductor VMS 4 has been expanded to include a number of new Alpha processors and motherboard configurations.

If you are trying to fix an existing OIS you should have no problems because as far as I know they are still selling OIS (Conductor VMS 4.0) operator stations. So you should be able to get replacement cards and hardware without many problems.

--
Chris Jennings Ph +61(0)351360417
E/I Engineer Fax +61(0)351360540
Australian Paper Maryvale Mob +61(0)407320113

A

Adi Purnomo, Indonesia

Dear Chris,

We have a problem in our INFI 90 OIS. WE would like to change the OIS with another software OIS without change the existing system. Please be informed the existing system used DEC ALPHA Server and VMS for Operating System.
What we should do regarding the above problem. Shall we use Citect for the MMI/OIS. Do we have to customize another software to integrate with INFI 90 ? Thanks.

R
Dear Bapak Adi,

There are several great options for replacing obsolete Bailey consoles without re-engineering the whole application.

Send me an email to [email protected] and I will do my best to get you information on the choices available.

Best regards,

Rick Arnott

C

Chris Jennings

We are going through the same process here at Australian Paper - Maryvale. One area has OIS42's running Conductor VMS 4.0, however the hardware is getting old and some components (mainly monitors) are starting to fail.

What we are going to do is replace the OIS with Conductor NT operator stations that are being removed from the Pine Mill (the Pine Mill is getting a new ABB OperateIT DCS). We use Conductor NT in other areas but I would not recommend upgrading to it because it does not integrate very well with either Composer or Wintools engineering utilities.

To be honest ABB have really dropped the ball with HMI's for the Bailey DCS. I would probably suggest talking to ABB and say that going to Citech operator stations is: A) Cheaper B) Easier C) Better supported

See what they say. Perhaps they will give you a good 'deal' on the OperateIT Portal B option for the Bailey DCS. However I very much doubt it. I personally have not used the Citech HMI but every person I talk to raves about it.

ABB even admit that their tools to convert old OIS graphics to the new OperateIT cost more than paying a person to convert graphics manually!!!
>From things like this it is obvious that ABB has a very low care-factor for
the Bailey DCS (which has one of the largest install bases of all DCS systems). Anyway enough of my anti-ABB ranting :)

If I was you I would talk to an ABB technician and get their suggestions, then talk to a Citech technician and see what he says. The other option I have heard about is using DeltaV to interface to the Bailey so perhaps you could talk to them also. I think it uses OPC to communicate between the Bailey and the DeltaV.

Hope this helps.

Chris

R
Chris,

There are several options for handling obsolescence of Bailey legacy consoles using an automated graphic conversion process that preserves much of the engineering effort that went into the development of the existing Bailey graphics.

This approach is a great cash saver, eliminates the need for operator retraining, and significantly reduces the acceptance testing of the new graphics - if it worked in Bailey it will work in the new console.

Our website is www.readyengineering.com. There are some documents on our website that describe the technical merits and features and benefits of the conversion.

My email address is [email protected]

Best regards,

Rick

R

Rajesh Mehta

Dear Bapak,

There are various possibilities including continuing with VMS consoles as they are currently actively supported. The other options are migrating to COnductor NT or Operate IT Process Portal.

Please feel free to contact local ABB representative or ABB in Singapore for any further information.

Regards
Rajesh

ABB support is usually weak in the SE Asia. Sad to say that even though they have monopolized a huge share the power plant controls in this region, they still have failed to satisfy their clients needs.

I am still supporting ABB OIS and INFI90 parts. If you need any technical assistance in OIS/INFI90 hardware or software, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I am also the sole distributor for DCS Display for Vartech USA in Asia. Please Check our our plant control CRT/LCD products at http://www.vartechdisplays.com/products. We have ready customised industrial displays for all the DCS systems in the market.

Sam

Hello Sam,

I am Ken, former ABB Bailey instructor and engineer. I live in Singapore and provide support services to Asia customers. I would like to speak with you. Please either email me at: [email protected] or Hp: 65 98150462

Thanks,
Ken