Abbreviations - CPU - CPM - PLC

Hello there,

I am interested to know if there is any kind of standardization in abbreviations used in Automation and Control era.
Could be something form ISA, form IEC, IEE ... whatever.
For example in Automation and Control era CPU stands for what ... for Central Processing Unit, which is in fact the CPU term in computer's world, or Control Processor Unit, which i guess is wider and may refer to the complete electronic board consisting of the processor and all other electronics ?
I have seen the term CPM - Control Processor Module ... any idea on what it stands for ?
To my understanding it may refer to even something more wider i.e. a board with a CPU and some other ports like com ports on the same board .
Anyway standardization could resolve any argument/doubt.

Thanks

Mike

"The great thing about standards is: There are so many of them [standards] to choose from!"

Most of these are just abbreviations, made up by lazy people writing documents to save some keystrokes. Just about every company has "standards"--some are actually documented, distributed and reviewed/enforced. Most are just word-of-mouth and few documents produced by engineers--or even technical writers--are ever reviewed by anyone to check to see if the company "standards" were followed.

Now, as with everything--there are exceptions to every rule. And every "standard" is not a workable one-size-fits-all standard.

But the truth remains, most of these abbreviations are just made up. Like PCB (Printed Circuit Board), versus PWB (Printed Wiring Board). Most times one can find at least one instance of an abbreviation being explained (in parentheses) somewhere in a manual or brochure. Any company really interested in selling or promoting their products will do so.

And, even if some organization has a "standard" they promote and follow in their documents and ask the voluntary subscribers to their organization to follow--there's usually no penalty for not doing so. (What voluntary body, which receives funds from members, is going to penalize one of them for not strictly following their standard? Really?)

There are favorites. UPD (USB Protective Device), also known as a "dongle." (Prior to USB ports, there were serial- and parallel ports, and there were dongles for those, too.) CPD (Cursor Positioning Device), also known as a "mouse." DED (Data Entry Device), also known as a "keyboard."

Sure; it would be great if there was a common language and abbreviation nomenclature. The French are STILL unhappy about French being replaced as the common, international language of choice. (Yes; I wrote that.) The French invented NIH (Not Invented Here), or so the story goes....

So, learn to understand by context.

And, have a sense of humor!

"The great thing about standards is: There are so many of them [standards] to choose from!"

Most of these are just abbreviations, made up by lazy people writing documents to save some keystrokes. Just about every company has "standards"--some are actually documented, distributed and reviewed/enforced. Most are just word-of-mouth and few documents produced by engineers--or even technical writers--are ever reviewed by anyone to check to see if the company "standards" were followed.

Now, as with everything--there are exceptions to every rule. And every "standard" is not a workable one-size-fits-all standard.

But the truth remains, most of these abbreviations are just made up. Like PCB (Printed Circuit Board), versus PWB (Printed Wiring Board). Most times one can find at least one instance of an abbreviation being explained (in parentheses) somewhere in a manual or brochure. Any company really interested in selling or promoting their products will do so.

And, even if some organization has a "standard" they promote and follow in their documents and ask the voluntary subscribers to their organization to follow--there's usually no penalty for not doing so. (What voluntary body, which receives funds from members, is going to penalize one of them for not strictly following their standard? Really?)

There are favorites. UPD (USB Protective Device), also known as a "dongle." (Prior to USB ports, there were serial- and parallel ports, and there were dongles for those, too.) CPD (Cursor Positioning Device), also known as a "mouse." DED (Data Entry Device), also known as a "keyboard."

Sure; it would be great if there was a common language and abbreviation nomenclature. The French are STILL unhappy about French being replaced as the common, international language of choice. (Yes; I wrote that.) The French invented NIH (Not Invented Here), or so the story goes....

So, learn to understand by context.

And, have a sense of humor!
Thanks .... Nice sense of humor !!! However is not a matter of learning is a matter of common "language" to communicate with and don't mess up the meanings. Anyway I understand that there is no common language fir namming things like that any anyone any company can "invent" and promote it's names at it's interest.
Hope to see more replies from you. At least they are well presented and non boring.
Regards,
Mike