ABB's Conductor NT 4.0 Trend loss

A

Anonymous

In this plant, the configuration are as follows:
- (Primary/Redundant, two client)x 4 configuration
- Each Conductor NT server has 30,000 tag data capability.
- All consoles are connected via O-net, so all information(graphics, etc...) in other unit also available.
- Conductor NT 4 with Window NT 4(Service pack6a)

What problem what I have is that, sometimes trend gap (loss), one (1) minute or sometime more.
Some time, trend did not appear, so I reboot the system... it showed trend function (hdba..)
During last two (2) years, I experienced more than 7 times. Actually, system itself is working, only trend display (hdba file corrupt)..
I don't know this thing is Conductor NT bug or Window NT bug? Or, system configuration problem?

Anyone have experience this similiar thing in Infi-90 open? If know this things, what is reason and solution?

thanks in advance.

C

Chris Jennings

What are the specifications for the computers that are running as the Conductor Servers? How much hard disk space do they have? How long is the data being kept for the trends? What is the standard collection period for your trends?

Each of those things will affect how well the system is operating. Our system only has trend collection rate for a majority of tags of 1 minute intervals. We don't have many fast trends in our configuration and the maximum amount of time we keep our trend history for is a week. We use OSIsoft PI for our historical data.

If you give me some more details of your system I might be able to help. My first guess would be lack of memory or hard disk space.

Chris Jennings

Mate, if you modify a tag in your historical database all previous data for that tag will be lost if not all its historical data for that tag. You might find that your server had lost its connection or disconnected from the loop momentarily, check your event log and your ICI/node. Our hdba file is allowed to grow up to 1 gig, and in doing so reduces the server's performance if not crashes the server/pc in the process of re-configuring all our historical tags to better control the hdba file. this database is really meant for operator trends and not for storage. Look into ABB's historian systems or better yet OSI PI systems for storage of you process data. Windows NT has its fair share of problems but I would guess your ICI dropped off the loop for the time in question so you see a gap in all your trend data or if is just one or two tags that lost data then someone made a change to that tag's historical database.

you might also have a time sync issue between your primary/secondary servers... as the time mastership is exchanged... windows NT sucks for networking so try to upgrade into newer microsoft headaches with windows 2000. cheers mate

M

marco van geffen

I have the same problem, we have Conductor UX 4.0

and sometimes we must delete the HDB file and reboot the system.

You mentioned that you are having CNT4.0, and MS NT at SP6a. What SP is your CNT4.0 at?

There was a reported problem as you are experiencing. The following is the reported problem and why?

A trend gap of one sample could occur when a Redundant Harmony I90 Server was started. This gap would occur about the time the Redundant Server would begin to establish tags. By causing the gap to occur at exactly an even minute, a gap was seen in all trends with collection intervals up to two minutes.Trend data will now be collected on each node that stores the trend data. Previously the trend data was collected on only one node and then distributed to all the nodes that stored it. If the node primarily responsible for doing the collecting came online, a trend gap could occur when the trend collection duties were transferred back to that node.

A second reported problem with similar problem is as follows:

Trend gaps could occur when the Redundant Server was shut down. The size of a gap was typically two collection intervals with a minimum gap of twelve seconds. It was possible to cause gaps in trends with longer collection intervals by shutting down the Redundant Server a few seconds before the trend was scheduled to collect. Trend gaps also occurred when a Client Extender was shut down. Trend data will now be collected on each node that stores the trend data. Previously the trend data was collected on only one node and then distributed to all the nodes that stored it. If the node doing the collecting went offline, a trend gap would occur until another node took over the collecting.

ABB's solution is to obtain CNT4.0 SP1 and load. This service pack is to correct for this situation.

One of the other replys mentioned the HDBA.DB size, yes this could be a problem. Performance is slowed. The following information may be of some interest to you.

When the HDBA.DB file grew to a large size, console performance deteriorated.PC performance may vary depending upon the applied configuration. Typical PC guidelines for memory and CPU speed as stated in the literature meet most users' needs. For enhanced performance, it is always recommended to go with the fastest CPU with the maximum amount of RAM supported by the PC. Additional consideration can be given to the maximum size anticipated of the historical database. Users need to adjust the database collection rates and retention periods to be within the guidelines in order to maintain the desired system performance. If the size of the historical database exceeds the size given by the formula ‘<CPU speed in MHz> + 2 * (<RAM size in MB> - 128) MB’, then the message “Recommended Historical Database size exceeded, archive and refer to guidelines” will appear in the Event Review.

I understand that SP1 is available on the internet. Try this location and instructions.

File download through the ABB Automation Services FTP site (http://iws.abb.com). The update file and these release notes can be obtained from there.

Installation:

The update consists of a single program called:

ConductorNTSR4_0ServicePack1b4.exe.

It is always recommended to perform a complete backup prior to software installation.

1) Perform a full Conductor NT shutdown.

2) To install the update, you must be a user with permission to run the Microsoft Windows Explorer and must have administrator privileges or be logged in as administrator on the local computer.

3) Copy the update file from the FTP site to a temporary area on your hard disk. From the Windows Explorer, double-click on the file named ConductorNTSR4_0ServicePack1b4.exe. A pop-up window indicates, by default, that it will extract temporary files into the directory C:\TEMP\ConductorNTSR40ServicePack1b4.

4) The user will be guided through the update process. A message dialog gives you the chance to cancel the update. The final dialog box will indicate that the update is complete.

5) Add FP_INDEPENDENT_COLLECTION with a value of 1 to the System Variables which can be found in the Environment folder of System Properties. This variable is required for pairs of primary/redundant servers to fix problems 217 and 272.

6) You will need to reboot the computer to complete the update.

Notes:

· The update must be applied to each Conductor NT node in the system.
· The update does not require any Conductor NT License changes.
· If in the future you need to reinstall Conductor NT 4.0 for any reason, you must reinstall this update.

Version Information:

When the Symphony logo in the upper left-hand corner is clicked, it will display the following to indicate that the patch has been applied:

Conductor NT Core Service Pack 1 Build 4 - - > 4.0
INFI 90 Add-On Service Pack 1 Support - - > 4.0
OPC Add-On Service Pack 1 Support - - > 4.0

Hope this helps.
Ken