Absolute beginner rslinx/logix

M

Mike Burgess

I am new to PLCs and really want to get into them Ive messed about with mitsubishi FX's with some success but I had a surplus PLC to practise on and gain a bit of confidence.
What I need putting as simply as possible is how to connect my laptop to a micrologix I see in the help you have to configure a driver Why and How?
Is it possible to alter the program while PLC is running or can I tinker without fear of erasing the program whilst it is running as Ive only just persuaded my boss that I should be doing this aving him money on contactors.I dont want to mess up as there are a few who would like to see me screw up.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and any other tips for a novice I would be very grateful
Many Thanks
Mike Burgess

G

George Bradley

When I first started with Micrologix, I had a starter version that came with a Micrologix 1000 and toggle switches to simulate inputs which I could use to mess about with on my desk. This was invaluable. If you can get a hold of one, it will sure beat sweating it out on the floor with an expensive machine. I have had great success with tech support at AB when I couldn't set up the communications.
Good Luck
George Bradley

T

Thomas Allen

The first thing is YOU CAN'T BE AFRAID TO MESS UP. If you're scared of it you won't be able to try. The second thing I would say to do is start simple on a project that you can have a little time with to practice and play.

The Micro will not allow online edits,
you really can't change much but timer presets online,

Everyone messes up, only a few of us will admit it. Go for it.

C
> What I need putting as simply as possible is how to connect my laptop to a micrologix I see in the help you have to configure a driver Why and How?

RSLinx handles the communications for the Rockwell $oftware products. I suppose it is easier to maintain one communications package rather than maintain the communications software in each and every one of their products.

The MicroLogix line uses serial communications (at least my 1000 and 1200 do, I have not yet played with the 1500). The "RS232 DF1 Devices" driver should be easy to set up. Go to Communications, Configure Drivers, click on the Available Driver Types pull-down list, and chose the RS232 driver. Select the COM port that your MicroLogix is connected to and let the Auto-Configure find the settings for you. Of course, make sure your micrologix is powered and connected to the COM port.

> Is it possible to alter the program while PLC is running or can I tinker without fear of erasing the program whilst it is running ...

The RSLogix500 software will not do online editing on a MicroLogix (a limitation of the hardware?). It will for SLC500's. You will have to go off-line, make your changes, and download the new program to the processor. If you find your changes were bad, you can download the previous program again, assuming you saved it. You can change some parameters while online, such as timer and counter pre-sets which are the limits to which you are timing or counting.

I hope you got the starter kit. It comes with an input switch simulator that makes it easier to test your logic. If not, the part numbers are 1761-SIM-B16 for the ML1000, 1796-SIM1200 for the ML1200 and 1796-SIM1500 for the ML1500.

Good luck and have fun!

Chip Hinde
Los Alamos National Laboratory

D
The problem I have is only having it on one laptop but needing it on other computers for training
I use LogicPro plc simulator from http://www.thelearningpit.com
it is cheap '$30.00' and does a fair job of simulation that means i can have a version at home, on our shop computer and still have the laptop free for the real thing and the support and upgrades are great. I have even developed complete small programs for safety interlocks with it.

see you
Doug Doane

Mike,

Will your supervisor consider sending you to training courses on PLC-5 With RSLogix-5? I completed a GREAT training course at ARTM Training Center. The instructor was very knowledgeable and spent extra time discussing problems we were having in the field. Their website is: www.artm.net

P

Pierre Desrochers

Even the experienced programmers sometime forget this .... DO A BACKUP BEFORE
ANYTHING ELSE!

Then the fun begins.

-Pierre Desrochers

PS... Back it up on your laptop and on a seperate flooppy then copy the
floppy to a desktop then have a zip copy of it all.

Hello Mike,

Check out the PLC archive at www.plcarchive.com look for the write up on
RSLinx. The write up pertains to connecting to the A-B PLC-5 processor
through DF1 serial. Connecting to the MicroLogix uses the exact same driver
and configuration procedure.

If you want more information please feel free to contact on or off list. You
also might want to check out my web site.

Bradley G. Hite
Intertech Inc.
mailto:[email protected]
http://www.myplc.comTeaching Practical Skills for a Technological World