AC variable motor controls

C

Charlie Tosh

I am needing to run a 50hp AC motor on 128v DC/ 1500 amphour batteries like a large forklift control.

I am an engineer working on a battery operated machine. It currently uses a 50 hp DC motor running through a gearbox and seminco controls. The machine has drive shafts linking the motor to the front and rear John Deere axles. Top speed is regulated at 6 mph. The machine starts and stops frequently and carries a load of up to 30,000 lbs. I need to convert this machine to an AC motor mounted directly to each front and rear axle to eliminate the drive shafts and gear box. Can anyone give me direction on what is the "state of the art" vendor for motor controls in this HP range? Battery power and motor life is very important, but the cost of setting up the machines to do the job properly is not a factor.

A

A.C.Sankaranarayanan ...........Kuwait.

Use SEW Movidrive (EURODRIVE).Connect your sourse in DC Links Check nameplate do parameter and Run your Motor.

S

Steve Myres, PE

Using a VFD is a good idea, but it probably won't work with 128VDC on the DC Bus. Depending on the motor voltage (208/230 vs 460) the nominal DC bus voltage is more like 375 or 750. So you'll probably need to reconnect your batteries in a more series fashion than now. Three of the existing batteries (or existing series groups) in series would yield 384 volts, which should work for a 200V class drive. Make sure your battery wiring will withstand the high voltage, and make sure the personnel safeguarding is adequate for the higher voltage.