Accessing Data From A Siemens WinCC Database Using An External Windows NT Application

C

Conny Karlsson

Well, I guess the subject and the summary already said it all... but anyway... I'm going to write an own Windows NT / 2000 application which will need to access information (the alarms) from a Siemens WinCC Database. I've read that there is several ways to do this (ODBC, ActiveX, OPC and so on). Now I'm not sure which method I should use and how to access the data using a particular method.

My application will send this information forward to a device, so the application will be a stand-alone program (or perhaps ActiveX-controls can be used during the whole process?) that acts as a communicationrelay between the database and the device. If you know any good methods for this or any good places where I can find further help, then don't hesitate to write an response.

With thanks in advance, Conny...

I have made a Visual Basic application that makes contact with the running WinCC project on the same PC. I use it to enter keyboard commands from a Serial special keyboard into WinCC tags.
This same methode can be used to read tags in WinCC en use them in any way you can within Visual Basic. This same methode can also be very easy used directly in Excel or any other OLE connectably programms. I have no complants about the speed of this method. You also need no expantions for WinCC because OLE is standard available in WinCC (not on clients in a client-server setup).

Siemens has made an Excel example for this methode. Perhaps you can get it from Siemens by their site. www.siemens.de

Good luck, Sisko Bos

[email protected]

J

Johan Vereecken

> Well, I guess the subject and the summary already said it all... but anyway... I'm going to write an own Windows NT / 2000 application which will need to access information (the alarms) from a Siemens WinCC Database. I've read that there is several ways to do this (ODBC, ActiveX, OPC and so on). Now I'm not sure which method I should use and how to access the data using a particular method.

A few years ago I've set up a link between WinCC and Labview using DDE on an NT4 system. WinCC acts as DDE-server and Labview as DDE-client. The data access is not time-critical (seconds), because it is used in monitoring wastewater treatment.

Regards,

Johan Vereecken

J
Hi,

I´m trying to set up WinCC as DDE client but can´t get it running. I´m trying to get data via OmniServer from a serial port but WinCC does not seem to take this DDE link. Does anyone have experience with running WinCC as DDE client who can tell me why it is not accepting this.

I ran the same link on InTouch without any problems (RS232 - OmniServer - InTouch).

Any help would be very appreciated...

Thanks!

Jim de Kort