Accessing PLC from Unity Pro

S

Schtiel

Hi all! We used Concept for programming Quantum PLCs. Recently our company got a Unity Pro Demo CD and I wanted to test it. I tried to connect to PLC via Ethernet, but I couldn't. It was an error message "That is not a valid PLC or media is off". So there are some questions:

Does demo version of Unity Pro allow connecting to PLCs?

Should I install a special driver to connect to PLC via Ethernet? Where can I get it?

Thanks in advance.

J

Jairo Rodriguez

Yes, the unity pro demo allow you to use all features for 21 days even ethernet connection.

Hi,
this might sound silly but have you put in the correct ip address in Unity to connect to the PLC?

Take a look in RUN led indicator of the NOE Ethernet module. If it is flashing 6 times and then off after 3 minutes of powered on, it indicates the NOE has its Default IP address as indicated in the module´s front label. Set your PC IP Address near to the module´s IP.

> Does demo version of Unity Pro allow connecting to PLCs? <

Yes, the demo version is valid for 21 days.

> Should I install a special driver to connect to PLC via Ethernet? Where can I get it?

To connect the Modicon PLC via Ethernet, you need a NOE module or higher version. The first configuration you need to use Modbus for setting the IP address at NOE module, then the Ethernet link will be estalished.

For more details, you can email at [email protected].

Arif

Thanks a lot!

Does PLC Premium (CPU 2634) has a default IP address?
Or there is no possibility to access this CPU via Ethernet without configuring its IP via Modbus?

Look at your documentation. The default IP address is associated with the MAC address.

The MAC address is assigned at the factory and is recorded on a label on the front panel, above the cable connector. This is a unique 48-bit global assigned address. It is set in PROM. The Ethernet address is recorded on the label in hexadecimal, in the form 00.00.54.xx.xx.xx.

Convert these numbers to decimal from Hex, this will give you your default IP address...

Open an MS-DOS window.
4 Add an active route for the local NOE by typing:
C:\>ROUTE ADD <target> MASK <mask> <gateway>
e.g.
C:\>ROUTE ADD 84.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0 205.217.193.205 <- YOUR PC IP ADDRESS

Use the default IP address of the NOE module as target address. Use a class A subnet mask for connecting to every 84.0.0.0 address. The gateway address is the IP of your PC. The result is that MS Windows will now talk to any address that starts with an 84 that is directly connected to a hub or switch directly accessible to your machine, or that can be seen by the specified route/gateway.

Once you have done this you can connect to the PLC by its default IP address. in this case it's 84.0.0.2

[email protected]

I should have thought of this earlier. But if your PLC's exec is not Unity capable, you will have to flash your PLC with a Unity Exec.