Accessing process history database

W

webberj

Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to access vendor process history databases (e.g. Honeywell's PHD) through programming languages such as Matlab, C++, or VBA?

I am sure there are third party solutions available, but I am interested to know how it can be done from scratch. I am new to database access via programming. Any help, or directions on getting started would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hello?

Since there has been no response I wonder if there is a more appropriate forum to post this question. Any advice?

Thanks.

Your question depends on what the platform and design of the database. You need to clearly define what platform (ex: windows), database (MS SQL Server), and application (Rockwell Historian) you are targeting since they are all different. There are many techniques for accessing process data via many general purpose languages.

Gil.

The journals are accessible using sql through ODBC, they are in Oracle database tables.

The process data uses the ODBC link for communication, but the data is stored and retrieved by proprietary services. The PHD client installation includes add ins for office and VB libraries, with some good examples of how to use them.

PHD supports OPC as master for Data Access and Historical Data Access, that may be the way to go for a custom application...

John

I am also in similar situation. I have WinCC v6.0 ( Siemens), Windows XP (Operating system) and WinCC has also got database (MS SQL Server). I want to generate reports in MS-Excel by accessing the database periodically. Can I do it? What are the techniques and where can I get them? I am new to this area and the vendor is suggesting to purchase an Add-on package.

Dilip