Accessing third party SCADA database

B

Biju CG

Is anybody having sound experience in FAST/TOOL SCADA (Yokogawa) package??

We are now trying to share database of 6 months metering data from the FAST/TOOL SCADA system for other systems in the LAN. What we need is to access the SCADA database... The vendor is asking special license for the same.

J

Jeremy Pollard

I would tell them to go pound salt. Its your data not theirs.. demand the file format!!

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Caring Canuckian! www[.]tsuonline.com

Control Design www[.]controldesign.com
Manufacturing Automation www[.]automationmag.com

3 Red Pine Court, RR# 2 Shanty Bay, Ontario L0L 2L0 705.739.7155 Cell # 705.725.3579

M

Michael Griffin

This sounds like a CAL (Client Access License) for a third party proprietary database. We've had this discussion before here. A number of SCADA vendors started using the "Microsoft Sequel Server" (MS-SQL) database a few years ago, and Microsoft demands an additional license fee for every "connection" to the database server. I don't know what database Yokogawa is using for this product, but they were using Microsoft SQL Server 2000 for some purposes.

If the above speculation is correct and if you don't like paying a fee for every connection, ask Yokogawa if it is possible to use a different database which doesn't have this problem (e.g. PostgreSQL).

C

Chrisstoffer, Herman

The internal database format is DBVista. As suggested in the previous mail it is not possible to replace the database engine with a different one.

To access the data you have the following options:
- via an ODBC link
- export via the reporting module
- write your own small application that uses the standard API of FAST/TOOLS
- via a direct link to Excel (available on request starting version 8.3.1 and newer)

If you have any further questions please let me know.

With Kind Regards / Met Vriendelijke Groet,
Herman Chrisstoffer