ActiveX control for Ethernet IP

D

David Wooden

Can anyone suggest a good ActiveX control to connect a VB6 based HMI to an AB ControlLogix PLC using the 1756-ENBT card? I assume this has to be Ethernet IP, or could it be another protocol?

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.

F

Fred Loveless

The ControlLogix Ethenet/IP protocol is very complex. I doubt that there is an ActiveX control that you available. Your best bet is to get and OPC server that supports communication with the CTLX and also provides a VB interface.

Kepware's KEPServerEX with Allen Bradley Driver Suite has the driver and the server also has VB6 OPC examples for connecting to the server and provides the OPC Foundation OPC 2.0 Automation Wrapper.

http://www.kepware.com/Products/kepserverex_features.html

Fred Loveless
Support Manager
Kepware Technologies

J

Jeremy Pollard

I have used Automated Solutions control with great success. Ingear from Software toolbox is an alternative as is Parajat controls.

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Caring Canuckian!
www[.]tsuonline.com

J

Jeremy Pollard

Fred... I think thou doest protest too much... you can doubt all you want but forget the FUD - there are some very good products out there.

Shameless!!

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Caring Canuckian!
www[.]tsuonline.com

A
VB 6.0 ActiveX control is fine if you are still writing code in vb 6.. Interop with .NET can still be a pain. I have used many different ones including KepwareEX, I even have it installed on the machine in front of me right now. If you are writing complex applications this can be an issue. My current project has 5 VB6 ActiveX controls and the application is written with Visual Studio .NET 2005. If you are developing in .NET i suggest using one of the .NET native drivers.

ps.. it would be nice if Kepware's sample opc app was simple...

Pyramid Solutions has EtherNet/IP Adapter and Scanner enabler software products that include a range of programming options, including ActiveX controls, DLLs, source code with C#, C++ and C APIs.

Glenn Beal