Again: a secret bit set at A/B SLC5-03

M

me

O'kay, here are three A/B SLC5/03 controllers. One feels itself OK, another had a FLT, cleared, and the third one... No user program. Empty. The idea is simple - to upload a program from alive controller to pc, and to download it back to clean one. First two have a S:1/14 set, so there is no way to use RSLogix for this. MAYBE somebody has a APS (dos based) - as people from this forum say, this could help. Tell me an URL to this program please to download it.

Thanks in advance

B

bob peterson

The first thought that comes to mind is to use some means to reset that bit. I have never used that particular bit before. Can it be reset from a Panelview object for instance?

In any case, there is no guarantee that the programs would be identical.

IMO, any company that allows this kind of nonsense from an OEM in the first place, deserves all that bad things like this that are bound to happen to them because of it.

--
Bob

Thanks, BOB, as far as i know from old posts in this forum, there is only one way to pass this bitlock - using obsolete software, that is why I am looking for it. All modern equipment/soft takes so much care for copyright...

B

Bill Schwarz

Perhaps you could transfer the program from the live CPU to EEPROM, then move the EEPROM to the empty CPU then transfer it to the processor memory there?

>Perhaps you could transfer the program from the live CPU to EEPROM,
---- snip ----

Hmmm. Do you know the exact step-by-step procedure? I did not. EEPROM connector gives an easy way to upgrade onboard OS, not a user program. Especially when I have no EEPROM module, that will fit SLC5/03 socket. And then, if I can get access to the EEPROM - this will give me a chance to get this file to PC? And to make as much copies as i want? IMHO this is not possible....

B

Bill Schwarz

The flash EPROM is for program memory backup. It's AB part #1747-M13. You would need RSlogix software or an HHT to transfer the contents of the PLC memory to the EPROM, and vice versa. You could not transfer it to a PC from the EPROM. Check AB's literature on their web site.

J

Jeremy Pollard

Just did this.. upload the file into RSLogix... select controller properties in the project explorer, and click 'Allow Future Access'.. and re download.. work good!:)

>Or learn DF1.

Yeeeehhhhaaaaa :)

Did it. Just a mistype. Was looking up google for AB DF1 and typed abdf1 - and got at sourceforge an excellent alternative of df1 terminal - and it cleared the security bit. After this rslogix500 enabled the full access to user memory. So everything is back-upped, successfully copied and protected again. Thanks to All.

> Just did this.. upload the file into RSLogix... select controller properties in the project explorer, and click 'Allow Future Access'.. and re download.. work good!:) <

Not so easy, if the bitlock is on, the dialog with controller options is grayed.