AI 500 and Windows 2000

R

Ron Smith

I've recently upgraded my desktop to Win2000 and now there is apparently no way to run AI 5 or 500. Am I already doomed to the world of RSLogix?

>I've recently upgraded my desktop to Win2000 and now there is apparently >no way to run AI 5 or 500. >Am I already doomed to the world of RSLogix? I run AI500 version 8.18 on my Windows 2000 server with W2K service pack 1 on an older Pentium II/330 minitower. RSLinx communication drivers are required, of course, and the PIC driver won't run in Windows 2000, so that's a tradeoff. It's possible that earlier versions of AI500 don't work with Windows 2000, but I just installed this off the revision CD. I don't think that RSI is officially supporting Windows 2000. The shortcut memory settings are all defaults: Conventional Memory: Auto Initial Environment: Auto Protected: No Expanded [EMS] Memory: 2048 Extended [XMS] Memory: 1024 Use HMA: Yes MS-DOS protected-mode (DPMI) memory: 16384 For my customers who are hardcore DOS enthusiasts, I always strongly recommend that they invest in a copy of PowerQuest's Partition Magic and make themselves a multiboot machine. No sense trying to fit a DOS foot into a Windows boot. I prefer RSLogix to AI-500; the transition was difficult because of all the syntactic memory your wrists and fingers retain about dot-commands and F-keys. I need to program all the latest SLC and MicroLogix controllers so RSLogix is the only way to go. Your mileage may vary, Ken Roach Rockwell Automation / Seattle [email protected]

Hello, You should be able to run both applications AI5 and AI500 under WIN2K. I have been able to. However, all of your comms will need to be through RSLinx Lite. Furthermore, the PIC driver does not work under WIN2K so that may create some real problems if you need to connect to SLC-500, 5/01, and 5/02 processors. Bradley G. Hite Intertech Inc mailto:[email protected] www.myplc.com