Allen Bradley-Toledo Jaguar Integration

T

Ting Gatus

Anybody who has experience in this set-up? We are currently integrating Allen Bradley's PLC 5/40 to Mettler Toledo(Jaguar). Communication is okay now using RIO configuration. The problem is, the raw value of the Jaguar (250,000) is far greater than the PLC can accept (32,767). Is there any internal/external configuration needed? Please help. I don't have any manuals for the Jaguar at
hand.

<P>To select the floating point format configure the Allen Bradley RIO module from the Jaguar front panel as shown below. Refer to the Mettler Toledo Web site <a href="http://www.mt.com">http://www.mt.com</a> to get the latest manuals:</P>

<PRE>
Config Options
AllenBradley
Scale Setup
Data Format Flt
Number of Scales 2 (or 1 if applicable)
Scale 1 Local
Internal Scl A
Scale 2 Local
Internal Scl B
Block Transfer N
Node Communicate
Rack Address (RIO Rack Address)
Start Quarter 1
Last Rack Y or N
Data Rate 230.4K
</PRE>

B

Burda, Jason M.

Good question. I posed the same question to the group several months ago regarding integration to a GE 90/70 PLC. I never received any definite info. Currently we integrate to the PLC via a DDE link that runs from a VB program. The VB sends a control character to let the scale know it is waiting for a weight and sends another after it has received a weight that makes sense. Integration was not easy and required a lot of custom code. Toledo makes software now that allows a direct link to excel via a standard ethernet connection. Excel to PLC via DDE is pretty easy to do and is affordable for a driver...even free for some.

If you have any more specific questions let me know and I will try to answer.

T
Thanks Mr. P. West and Jason. We already did what Mr. West is suggesting (in the front panel) but the value is still at a maximum of
250,000. If we can move the value of the scale lower than 32,767, that will be okay.

To Jason, we can read the raw data but the problem is, it's too high. After reaching the maximum read value of the PLC, read error will
occur (value will become negative). Can you send some info regarding what you did with project? We are currently using Remote IO link. There
was a card inserted in the Toledo Jaguar(RIO card).

T
We can read the raw data but the problem is, it's too high. After reaching the maximum read value of the PLC, read error will
occur (value will become negative). Can you send some info regarding what you did with project? We are currently using Remote IO link. There
was a card inserted in the Toledo Jaguar(RIO card).

I program this lines for a plc5/80:
1) MVM I:123 0FH N7:340
2) MVM I:122 7FFFH N7:341
3) MVM I:122 8000H N7:342
4) xio I:123/4 CPT F8:53 (N7:340*65536.0)+(N7:341 - N7:342)
5) xic I:123/4 CPT F8:53 ((N7:340*65536.0)+(N7:341 - N7:342)) - 1048576.0

where:
I:122/0...I:122/15,I:123/0...I:123/3 are inputs of weight read from the jaguar
I:123/4 is the sign of weight (1=+;0=-)
F8:53 is the weight

Assuming you have configured the Jaguar for "Floating Point" data format at Rack #4 , Module Group #0, Full Rack , then the I/O block avialable in the PLC is I:40 through I:47 an O:40 through O:47 respectively. The format supported by
Mettler Toledo is ANSI/IEEE Standard 754- 32 bit number with one sign bit, eight bit exponent and a 23 bit mantissa. O:40 is the Scale Slot #1 Command register,I:41 - I:42 is the Scale #1 Single Precision Floating Point Value and I:45 - I:46 is scale #2 Single Precision Floating Point Value. When Valid data is available for say slot #1 and I:40/15 [Data Integrity bit)I:40/16 (command ack 1) and I:40/17 (command ack 2) have
the appropriate values] then read the Floating-Point value (based on the command sequence by default it rotates between 1,2,3 and repeats; where 1=Net Weight, 2=Tare Weight 3= Fine Gross Weight) the values I:40/10 through I:40/14
will indicate which command is active and copy the input values I:41 - I:42 to a Floating point value (COP, #I:41,#F8:0,1). A Floating point value in PLC-5 is 32 Bit and the copy instruction will copy both input words and convert to a
float. If you use a integer value in the COP instruction it will truncate. Hope this helps.