Aluminum or Stainless Enclosures

D

DMAR

What are the advantages and disadvantages of aluminum control panel enclosures compared to stainless? I've only worked with one large, heavy gauge aluminum enclosure that was custom built and found it lighter, cheaper and way easier to drill and cut. Lost track of it though and don't know how it held up. Also heard that one or the other conducts heat better than the other. Current site will expose panels to washdown including chemical washdown. What's the big downside to aluminum? Other factors to consider?

B

Bob Peterson

Aluminum is not as widely suitable as stainless steel is. It does have the advantage of lightweight going for it, but not much else. It reflect sun light much better if that is an issue for you.

They can be somewhat less expensive as well, especially as you get into larger sizes.

S
The only reason I can imagine to consider either over a painted mild steel enclosure is if you're in a location subject to corrosion, in which case it will depend on the particular chemistry present.

I think stainless is better for most things, but there are some corrosive agents where aluminum does a better job. They get extremely expensive in large freestanding enclosure, but in the mid-range wall mount sizes, say up to 60"x36" or so, don't forget to look at fiberglass. Generally less expensive than stainless, very good on corrosion resistance, and probably about as easy to drill and cut as the aluminum.