An Introduction and Data logging software

T

ThaddeusW

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site and I have some questions regarding data logging. First a little background of the project: An old EB welding machine is to be upgraded with full digital controls that not only control the machine but also enables us to log the process parameters during welding. Things like voltages and currents need to be logged during welding (we have developed our own electronics for scaling the signals to 0-10V). We want to sample this data about once every few seconds (ideally every second), shove it into a database and then get that data into spread sheets, reports and charts/graphs. I like CTC and the 5300. I also like Opto22. Their PAC’s do not use ladder logic which I dislike.

Here is the problem I am currently facing: My manager has it in his head that there must be a company that not only offers the hardware (PAC/PLC) but also the software to do everything I mentioned in the first paragraph. I need a clear picture of how this should be handled then I can go to my manager and tell him what is and isn’t possible/available.

Here is what I need our system to do:

-I need to not only control the machine but also get the data into a database (MS SQL) and then that data organized into spread sheets, reports and charts/graphs. They would even want to see this data on a web page if possible as the owner lives in a different state and the manager travels a lot.

- Another feature they really want to see is if process parameters deviate or something is physically wrong with the machine the system can email/text them (both CTC and Opto22 have this feature)

-iPad or Android parameter monitoring or HMI

-PC based HMI (meaning there is no proprietary HMI hardware + software so it can be ran on any PC)

-A central monitoring system that can monitor all of the machines (for our manager and shop foreman)

To me it sounds crazy for one company to offer all of this in one bundle, it’s a heck of allot of software to develop. I am not an automation expert and there are so many different controller manufactures and software packages that it’s dizzying. I would like to stick with CTC but if I have to choose someone else then so be it.

So in summary this is what I need to know:

-Is there a PLC/PAC company that offers the full gamut of data logging, reporting and HMI software?

-What is the Industry norm for tying multiple PLC/PAC’s and data acquisition systems to logging and reporting systems? Do you hand pick the components you want, develop your own system or look for all-in-one packages? I know that SCADA packages do this but I don't know enough to make a good decision.

-Any suggestions for hardware and software I should be looking at?

Sorry if this post is long winded but I am a lone gunman here and I have no other automation engineers to turn to. Found this website and it looks like I found the right place.

It's not as complicated as you think and much of what you need is easily available for one or two supliers depending on your budget and the amount of signals you want to monitor.

You need PLC with an OPC server -> choose your favourite (I prefer ABB's AC500 for small fast projects like this), and a product like OPC Datahub -> http://www.opcdatahub.com/Home.html

So that takes you down to 2 suppliers. There are plenty of PLC suppliers who can do the whole thing, but I think you'll find this is the cheapest way to go.

Rob
www[.]lymac.co.nz

I would look to see about getting your data to a SQL database of some kind on a central server, and then buy or make reporting software to present that data.

The ability to "control" the process remotely is controversial and there will be a lot of potential pitfalls there. It sounds like they only want remote *monitoring* which is probably a good thing. It seems every manager who likes toys wants the ability to control the machine through a tablet device but not a lot of people seem to define exactly what that is. For instance, could you log/report all of your data to a database and have web based reporting software to work on a PC or tablet through a browser, or do they want realtime data monitoring of actual HMI screens, etc? A lot of the Hmi and Scada companies are advertising a lot of these capabilities, but they always like to say they have capabilities but don't define details until you read the fine print.

This is a complex task and my gut feeling is that you will need different software vendors (and maybe some glue-like scripting or programming) with the common link being your database. Without knowing everything about your machines and requirements it is difficult to say for sure.

Ken

B
Actually if you can get the data into SQL Server you are near the finishing line.

Using SQL Server you can set up a report server, and configure some reports from the data. These reports could be tables or charts. SQL Server reporting services is one of the most popular reporting development tools.

Now the report server can be set-up ( quite easily ) to deliver the reports on the web. You don't have to configure a web-page it has it own front end called the Report Manager.

You can download and install SQL2012 express for free and use it. Ultimately this should be good enough for your use.

So you need to get the data into SQL and using some off the shelve IO modules and an OPC server this could be down, but if you do your research there probably is some cheaper IO option. I would look at National Instruments for some IO as they have a wide range of products and software.

I hope this help.

Good luck.
Bryan

I would also recommend looking at CSE-Semaphore TBox products (http://www.cse-semaphore.com/products/t-box/t-box-scada-alarm.php). Although they are advertised as an "RTU" I think they will fit your application well: Ladder (IEC-61131-3 complaint) and BASIC programming, bunches of different I/O options, Data logger built in with Sequence of Events logging (very fast), Alarm Management (SMS/e-mail notification, and a simple built in web based Reporting and HMI engine.

It does not have support for Apple iOS/Android yet but I have heard rumors of this coming in mid-late 2012. It also supports a multiple of protocols (Modbus, TCP/IP, DNP3, etc) so you could easily hook up your HMI of choice to it using OPC or use Semaphores TView software (which then supports PUSH technology if these are remote).

Disclaimer - The company I work for does sell Semaphore products in the US so I am a bit biased, but I believe you will find the TBox does everything you want and more. Follow the Semaphore link above if interested and contact your local sales office (it not, don't :).

JF