Analogue to Gray Code converter

D

David Copley

I need to provide a similar signal output to that used on linear encoders but derived from an analogue level sensor output. Internet searches have not found anything so far. Any ideas short of having to build our own design would be appreciated.

J

Jake Brodsky

Well, if your sensor is pressure based from 0-15 psi, you might consider an altitude encoder for aviation radar transponders. They use Gray code to express pressure altitude (referenced to a standard lapse rate from 29.92 "Hg @ sea level) to the nearest 100 feet.

The alternative which I prefer is to either ditch the Gray code stuff if you can, or if you can't get rid of it, build a lookup table to regular binary or BCD.

My curiosity is getting the better of me: Why on earth would you bother using gray code?

Jake Brodsky
mailto:[email protected]

We have several devices that work with level sensors.
- resistive VDC to 4-20
- convert 4-20 to resistive
- micro processor - 4 relays - adjustable, resistive - 4 to 20 etc in or out.
some of theses are not listed on line yet
but check out www.almegcontrols.com

contact us

Bob Hogg

> I need to provide a similar signal output to that used on linear encoders but derived from an analogue level sensor output. Internet searches have not found anything so far. Any ideas short of having to build our own design would be appreciated.
>

P

Pierre Desrochers

How about a micro PLC and ladder conversion ?

Pierre Desrochers
Integral Instrumentation Inc.
Montreal - Canada

C

Curt Wuollet

PC104 computer with a software loop and lookup table. Cost isn't as awful as you would think compared to automation stuff. Tri-M or Advantech, etc. I don't know if the Rabbit has ADC support.

Regards

cww